Monday, June 11, 2007

Holy Smoke


Well, today has turned out to be a very interesting and exciting day. I was at work doing my normal work thing when the power flickered on and off a couple of times. Once it stopped I noticed the air was no longer on. I continued doing what I was doing when the power flickered again and then the power went off for good. I didn't think too much of it until I heard the building manager in the office next to me talking on the phone. I heard him say, "Hi this is Jeff and we have a fire in the building and I have called 911 and we are getting everyone out of the building." I was thinking what the hell, a fire!! Then my next thought was getting all the clients out of the building. Not only do we have 40 inpatient clients, but we had probably 100 outpatient clients, staff members and kids in the daycare. I walk out of my office and it is mild chaos. I can already hear the fire trucks on their way. I grabbed my stuff and started helping out with getting clients out of the building and to the other side of the street. It turns out that we had a transformer blow right next to the building that started a small fire. Once they realized that it was not a fire out of control and there was no danger then they let us back in the building. The only problem: there was no power to the building. So, we sent all the clients home and took the inpatient clients to the*apartments* they stay at during the night. The good news from all of this: staff was sent home at 12:30pm for the day. So, I got 1/2 day off thanks to a small electrical fire.

This 1/2 day off could not have happened on a better day. At 7:30 this morning STL called me and said that she really wanted to spend a couple days with me in KC and that she took 3 days vacation and was on her way to KC. Can I tell you how happy I am to see STL and be able to spend some more time with her and show her my city.

So here we are, me and STL sitting here tonight and life could not be better.

9 comments:

One Messed Up Chick said...

I hope you two have fun :)

About the fire, i would have freaked out!!! Glad it wasn't serious and also glad you got out of work early.

Casey said...

Wow - glad no one was hurt in the fire and that it wasn't worse than it was. And hey - extra time off is always a good thing! Enjoy your time with STL.

Lynilu said...

Yo set that fire, didn't you? Yeah, yeah, yeah, really convenient!!!


:)

Monogram Queen said...

That is wonderful. How sweet of her to surprise you like that too. Everything works out for a reason Caroline. I am so happy for you!

Minnesota Nice said...

Ok, but why didn't you hear smoke detectors or fire alarms? You shouldn't overhear someone on the phone saying there's a fire! What if you'd been sleeping at your desk, you'd never have known!!

Caroline said...

eye--i think i would have freaked out more if it hadn't been for the fact that i had to get the clients out and keep them calm.

casey--i loved having the 1/2 day off yesterday. it was wonderful and i just wish we had more time

lynilu--hey now don't start any rumors. you know my family reads this blog and they will probably start rumors that i was fired from this job for setting the place on fire. :)

patti--i've never had someone drive 3 hours just to see me and surprise me. it was very nice

sandra--i heard the fire alarm, but the alarm company was out here (and have been for a week) and i thought they were just testing it for the 500th time. kind of reminds me of the boy who cried wolf.

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Enjoy. . . looks like you guys are really lighting a fire under it.

(Giggle. Giggle.)

pilgrimchick said...

Wow. Keeps things from becoming routine, certainly, and I can always appreciate an unexpected portion of a day off enjoyed.

SassyFemme said...

That could have been really scary. Glad it turned out okay. How cool that you get to spend some extra time with STL, too!

LOL @ Lynilu's comment!