Saturday, May 05, 2007

Progress

I have made some progress on what to do with the house. I decided (with the help of a friend last night) that my only option is to sell the house. As much as I didn't want to have to do that, right now this is my only choice to stay above water financially. And you know what, I am ok with this decision.

I called Lynilu's realtor that sold her house this morning and she will be here Monday to give me an idea as to what we can sell it for. It won't go on the market until probably the 20th of May since Laura has to be here to sign the papers to allow the house to go on the market. When she is in town that weekend, it will also give her a chance to finally get her stuff out of the house.

I already found an apartment that I want to rent. I will only be getting a one bedroom since that is all I will need. I had a hard time finding an apartment that would take a dog over 25lbs. Some sad news: I will only be able to take one of my cats. This is going to break my heart. My oldest cat, Bonk, will go with Laura. Bonk is very attached to Laura, so that will be fine. I am so sad to think that I will have to find good homes for Brady (orange tabby) and Astro (gray tabby). Both Astro and Brady are sitting here right with me and I can barely look at them. I feel like I have failed them. But I have to do what I need to do for me. I will take Ben, who is the youngest cat. Again, my heart is just breaking for Brady and Astro. Laura might take Astro, but she has never really liked Brady and I know she would not take him. So, if you know anyone that would welcome a very loving orange tabby into their home, please let me know.

There are several positives that I can see in moving from a house to an apartment. 1) I will not have to do any repairs. If anything goes wrong I can just call maintenance. 2) They have an awesome pool. 3) I will not have to maintain a yard. As much as I love mowing, it would be nice not having to worry about it for a while.

I hope the house will sell quick that way I can finally move on with my life. My goal is to be in the new apartment by July 1. If I can before that, that would be even better.

I feel good that I have finally stepped off the fence and making some tough decisions. I feel my power is back again.

4 comments:

yankeegirl said...

Go Caroline! I'm in an apartment now for a lot of the same reasons, affordable, no yard work to mess with, and my kids LOVE the pool.You are doing great!

Lynilu said...

I think this is the best, bravest move you have made. Good for you. this will break you away from many of the old ties with Laura and before, too.

For those of you out there close enough to KC to consider it, Brady is a wonderful cat! If I thought my lifestyle would accommodate a cat, I'd take him in a flash, but I plan to travel, so it wouldn't be fair to him. He is affectionate and has personality just oozing from his sweet face! When I used to care for the cats in Caroline's absence, Brady always greeted me at the door, and "made the rounds" of the house with me. Quite a character, personality deluxe!! He will make a wonderful pet for someone, and if it isn't you, ask around.

All the cats are cool, but I'm especially holding my breath for a loving home for that boy. He's the best!

Caroline said...

yankeegirl--i am actually looking forward to living in an apartment again. it will be a nice change.

lynilu--thank you so much (and brady really thanks you) for the great things you said about brady. i can not tell you how much it breaks my heart to know that i have to let him go. i wish there was something else i could do. sigh..

Monogram Queen said...

Yay for Caroline! Look at it this way. You are not abandoning Brady out in the cold nor putting him down. You are trying to find him a home right away and hopefully it will happen. I know it's oh-so-very-hard and my heart is breaking for you my friend.
That's how we got Spooky, he was going to a shelter if no one took him and I could NOT let that happen. He's not a very loving boy but he's a talker and has a funny, aloof kind of personality.