Friday, March 23, 2007

I Must Have An Important Job

This morning I got up early to go do my physical/drug screen/TB test. The place opened at 7:30am and the guy from where I now work said that it would be best to get there early since people have been known to have to wait 3 hours. So I was there right at 7:30am. I started filling out my paperwork and they asked if I had brought anything from my employer for this. I barely got directions, so no I didn't have anything showing I needed to be there. Like I would be there on my own. When they realized that I didn't have anything from my employer they said I would have to wait until they could get a hold of someone that could authorize the tests. Well, I knew that I needed to have Sophie to the groomer by 9am and I had no idea how long it would take. So I told them I would be back. After getting Sophie to the groomer I went back. I had so much paperwork to fill out. You would think I was going into the secret service or something.

So they take me back and decide to do the drug test first. They marked a line on the cup and said I needed to fill it to at least that point. One thing I did like it was a big cup. I hate when they give you these tiny little cups and expect you to not pee on your hand. After I finish I look at the cup and realize that I am just a little short of the line. I try to pee some more and there is nothing left. Damn. I go back and they make me sign all this paperwork stating that I will be given 2 hours and 3 glasses of water to try again and if I can't provide a suitable sample then it will go back to the employer that my sample was not suitable. I start worrying.

Then they start the physical. I had an ear test, eye test, pulse taken and blood pressure taken. My blood pressure was a little high (126/84), but I am sure it has come way down from a few weeks ago. Then they took me into a small room, instructed me to get undressed so the doctor could examine me. WTF? At this point I am pissed. I don't understand why all this has to occur because of my simple job. As usual the Doctor asked if I was on birth control and then looked at me weird when I told her NO. I wanted to say "it's none of your damn business".

I then go into the waiting room to drink my water and wait. Once I finished the water I waited about 30 minutes until I was getting uncomfortable. I then went in for try #2. This time not only did they get what they wanted, but they had plenty extra. Whew. I did not want to have a problem with this because I really need this job.

I then had my TB test and I was on my way. It was about a 15 minute drive home and I wasn't sure I was going to make it because I had to pee so badly. I was literally in pain when I pulled into the driveway. I never thought the garage door was going to go up.

So all this for my simple ass job. But it got me thinking that to someone it must be a really important job.

6 comments:

Lynilu said...

It *is* an important job ... to every client you work with, every child you place or oversee in foster care. Good luck on the job!

Jen said...

I'm still confused as to why you had to get undressed and have an "exam"..and why they asked you if you were on birth control! How is any of that relevant to your job?

SassyFemme said...

What jen said! ?!?!

One Messed Up Chick said...

Gee, are you joining the military? I agree with jen too.
Im glad that is over for you :)

Monogram Queen said...

Ugh I get so stressed out over stuff like that. When I worked at the job where I tore down auto transmissions (yep betcha can picture that can't you) I had to have a physical and all that stuff. I hated it and I hated the job too. Had to literally wring transmission fluid out of my bra nightly and soak my hands they hurt so bad. Anyway I am glad you were able to give them a suitable sample and things look okay on the job front. One little less thing for you to worry about. Hugs Hon!

Caroline said...

lynilu--i know it's am important job, but it just caught me by surprise with the complete physcial.

jen--very good point. i hadn't thought about it til you said something

sassy--i am now thinking.."what the hell went on"

eye--i don't think i am joining the military. :) i am so glad it's over and you really know the reason :)

patti--i had no idea patti. you will have to write about that job sometime. i am very glad i no longer have to worry about that as well