Thursday, March 08, 2007

Almost Spring


It appears that spring is almost here in Kansas City. The weather has been almost perfect here the last few days. Next week is suppose to be even better with temps in the high 70s. I know Laura will be in heaven since she is a true sun goddess.

As I was sitting on the couch watching my third Little House on the Prairie for the day I noticed there was some commotion on the back deck. I got up and looked and this little guy was standing at the back door looking in. When he saw me he quickly moved off the deck by the tree. I went and got a piece of bread since he looked like he was hungry. (I am not sure why he looked hungry, but he did) I threw out the bread and he ran up the tree with it to eat it. See, he was hungry. I feel sorry for him because he has almost no tail. Just a little bob of a tail. Reminds me of one of the cats we had growing up. Bartles was a sweet cat, but due to an accident when he was a kitten 90% of his tail had to be removed. We always wondered what he would look like if he actually had a long tail.

Seeing this squirrel today also reminded me of my Dad. When I was around 12 he become the best friend to all the squirrels in our neighborhood. He would feed them daily and even became so friendly with one that he would eat out of my Dad's hand. He would get them corn and he had all these feeders all around our yard. It was always fun watching them try to figure out the feeders.

Laura will be leaving bright and early tomorrow for St. Louis. She is taking the laptop so I will actually have to get off the couch, go upstairs and use the desk top. Oh the insanity. But I am sure I will manage just fine.

I already miss Laura.

5 comments:

Caroline said...

sharon--thankfully my camera has a really good zoom so that helps me get those good shots from a distance. again, thanks for the suggestion for what i could do this weekend. i have a suprise planned for laura that i am working on. if you can keep it secret i will tell you.

Lynilu said...

That is a great picture! You are getting good. Hey, keep that good weather; I'm going to be there in a week to make the big move, and nice weather would be deeply appreciated!!

Casey said...

Love the squirrel picture. I love squirrels so much - I think I could watch them all day long.

I really hate when Dakota goes away - everything just feels so.....lonely. I hope the time flies by and you are back together again soon. Until then, I hope you find lots of fun stuff to keep you busy.

Caroline said...

lynilu--when i showed laura the picture she thought i had gottten it off the internet. i had to show her our kodak program to prove i actually took it. i think the weather is suppose to still be nice next week.

casey--that is exactly how i feel. i know i am going to hate being here by myself all weekend long. i can't wait for sunday

Monogram Queen said...

That's sweet that you already miss Laura but a break is good for everyone.
May she have a safe/productive trip and you have an enjoyable week-end as well!

Love the Squirrel. Although they can sometimes be a bit "pesty" I enjoy them and always laugh when my cats chase them.