Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Waiting Game

Laura and I talked last night and I decided that I was going to ask my boss about this. I am not a person that will just sit and wait to see what happens. Not only would I drive myself and Laura nuts, but I am sure you all would be tired of me writing about what "could happen" for two or three weeks, or whenever they decided it was a good time to tell me that I am officially out of a job.

So this morning I came in a few minutes early to talk with my boss. As usual he was here so I just went in his office and asked him if this rumor was true. His initial reaction was shock. Not that there was this rumor going around that I was losing my job, but shock that I knew. He asked who I heard this from. I didn't tell him. I figured if it was not true and I was still going to have a job and they really wanted to know then I would say. But who knows..I hate being a snitch. He told me that he would check and I would have an answer by the end of the day. Sounds like it was true. Otherwise he would have reassured me that it was not true and not to worry. Now I just sit and wait. At least I only have to wait until maybe the end of the day to find out.

Last night Laura and I were talking about what I was going to do with my time if I suddenly find myself out of job. Here are some of the things we decided might be fun to do if I suddenly had a lot of time off and of course unemployment coming in.

*Go visit Lynilu in New Mexico. I would love to see her again and see where she is living.

*Buy a couple tickets on Amtrak and go to either the east coast or west coast. We have both wanted to take an extended train ride and how cool would that be to go west through the mountains. Checked prices and for both of us to ride the train to SF it would be about $550.

*Spend lots of time at the gym

*Paint the bathroom. This has needed to be done since we had the bathroom done in April.

These are just a few of the ideas we came up with. I am sure once it's official the list will become longer. It's not too often that you are forced into a long-term vacation and if this happens, then I plan on taking advantage of every minute of it.

**Edited 5:30pm**I had a meeting with my boss today at 4:30 and I was told the rumor was true and that my position is being terminated January 15. My boss was very upset that I found out "through the grapevine" and that he didn't have a chance to tell me first. I wonder if I hadn't asked today if they would have waited until the first of January to tell me. He did reassure me that I am eligible for unemployment, rehire and of course I can use him as an excellent reference. I guess all that is good, but right now I am still a little down due to being "officially" out of a job and having to really look for a new job. I hate interviews and I hate the first couple of days on a new job when I feel like I don't know anything and there is so much to learn. But I am going to try to not worry about that right now. Laura and I will be more then ok through all of this. We always have been. And like she has said "it's you and me against the world and we're winning."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The vacation idea sounds great! It would be a great opportunity for you guys to get away!

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are finding some great options for using your time off. :)

Pregnant In Texas said...

My heart feels for you because I know how stressful it is to worry about money and finding a job. I'm so envious, though, that you and Laura have each other to rely on during this time.

I hope that you do take some time to take care of yourself and your house.

Anonymous said...

Like you said in an earlier post: sometimes it's hard to understand why things happen until afterward. However, I'm sure you will find ways to take advantage of the in-between time between this job and your next. We'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best!

Caroline said...

emily--i guess the vacation thing has become reality now

casey--have to find something to do with my time..don't want to lay on the couch all day..although right now that sounds pretty good

pregintx--right now i am not feel too much stress..that may change when the paychecks stop. i am also very happy to have laura. she is a true gem

karen--i am sure laura will have a nice "honey do" list for me. :)

One Messed Up Chick said...

((((hugs)))) to you both. Everything happens for a reason. The reason might be so you both can take a much needed vacation. You have alot of great options already in mind. Maybe with more freetime we can catch up and chat sometime.

Patti_Cake said...

Blogger would NOT let me post last night. Sorry. I hope everything works out the way YOU need/want it to sweetie. Hugs.

Caroline said...

eye--thank you so much. yes, i think i need a vacation and laura is so excited to have me home for a while. looking forward to talking with you online sometime

patti--thanks. this is just God telling me i am needed somewhere else right now

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm working 'around' Blogger now. I love your plan to go visit Lynilu in NM. Hey you should swing up to Minneapolis to visit Laddie & me too!

Enjoy the downtime if you get it, you won't have very many work breaks like this in your life - of course it's nice to get paid too, but breaks can be very good!

Caroline said...

Sandra--don't temp us. MN is just an 8 hour drive. I am going to really enjoy this down time. I kind of wish it was right now. Oh well...