Saturday, December 02, 2006

Shopping, Wrapping & Giving

Today has been a very busy day for the two of us. We got up and decided to finish our Christmas shopping. We got our list and we headed out. We were so successful and managed to get all the gifts we were needing and on budget. Plus, while we were shopping I managed to finish my shopping for Laura. It took a little bit of manipulating on my part when we would check out, but I did it and she has no idea what I got for her. After shopping we sat down for a nice Mexican lunch. We told the waitress that we were celebrating the completion of our Christmas shopping. She informed us that she hasn't even started. Poor thing.

When we got home we pulled slowly in the driveway because Mama was out on our steps with her 3 new babies. We thought there were just two, but surprise, there is a third. They are too cute. We plan on taking them to the shelter when they are old enough plus getting Mama, Billy and Blacky all fixed. No more babies for us.

We then wrapped ALL the gifts we had. It was a tough job, but it's done. I am still learning how to wrap. This is something that was never taught to me so sometimes my presents look like they were wrapped by a child. It's the thought that counts, right?


Laura and I strongly believe in giving to those that are less fortunate then us. Two years ago we adopted a family from a local community center. It was very rewarding delivering the gifts to this family. Last year we adopted two students from Laura's classroom. This year we have decided to help a whole list of individuals that really need our help. We have a local pet shelter that is right down the road from us. Wayside Waifs is a wonderful dog/cat/bunny shelter. Many Sundays Laura and I will just go and walk around and give the dogs and cats lots of love. Most of the cats are in an open room and not locked in cages. They always seem happier that way. This year they are having a Holiday Open House and our family (Laura, Me and Sophie) are all going to the open house. Like they do all year long they have a long list of things they need. We did some shopping for the animals at the shelter and we plan on taking Sophie so she can drop the presents off for the less fortunate animals. Plus, Sophie will have her picture taken with Santa. It's going to be a memorable day.

It always feels good to help those that don't have as much as us and we thought helping the shelter was a perfect way to give this year.

11 comments:

Casey said...

That is really, really awesome of you!!! Shelters are often overlooked for holiday giving and I think it's really great that you two are giving of ourselves that way. See now? You made my heart burst with the holiday spirit. Good for you!!!! :) :) :)

Zoe said...

Wow, finished with your xmas shopping. I haven't even started, I haven't even started thinking about starting.

Glad to hear you're going to get those kitties fixed and that you support your local shelter.

Minnesota Nice said...

Oh hooray for you guys!!!! Yes, as Casey said, that is the true holiday spirit!

Of course you will have to post your pic of Sophie with Santa!

Caroline said...

casey--i agree that shelters are often overlooked during this time of the year. Thanks to Laura for finding the open house and the list of things they need. I can't wait to go next Saturday

zoe--since we have 30 people to buy for we shop all year long. infact, we have a "present closet" where we stash all the goods til x-mas. today was mostly stocking stuffers.

sandra--of course we will post pictures of sophie with santa. hopefully she won't pee on him.

Anonymous said...

I'm only about halfway through my shopping, but I mostly shop online, so I think I'm OK. :)

Wayside Waifs is a good place -- I'm sure they'll appreciate your help!

Anonymous said...

Wayside is the best! - the most appreciated gifts for shelter kitties is wet food, Wayside can only afford the dry food and wet food is a HUGE treat for them. They use the wet food for treats and for sick kitties to encourage them to eat. Also, hand size towels to line the beer flats they use to make beds are appreciated. What a great thing you are doing for the animals, as a WW volunteer, I thank you! Maybe I'll see you there some day. Ask about the surrender policy for animals while you are there. There are certain days and appointment times to do it. Glad you are going to get the kitties fixed - there are too many animals that are homeless in KC already!

Caroline said...

amy--i know one day i will do all my shopping online as well, but i still prefer to see it in person first.

anonymous--thank you for the wonderful idea on the wet cat food. we are now going to buy a bunch of wet cat food for the kitties. and we are going to remember this throughout the year. thanks for the idea

Monogram Queen said...

Y'all are the best. Just da best! I heart you and your love for all creatures great and small! Happy Holidays Caroline,Laura & Sophie + kitties too
P.S. Now you've got me shedding a few holiday happy tears!

Cherrie said...

I followed you home from Kitty's because I used your avatar picutre in my blog a little while ago. Your current entry is delightful! I have a soft spot for animals of all kinds and love that you are thinking about them during this season and, really, all seasons. I'll read back into your archives when I have a chance . . .

Laura said...

Mabel I'm really looking forward to next weekend. Maybe we should take Sophie thorugh the lights with us?

Caroline said...

patti--we thought the dogs and cats shouldn't miss out on the x-mas spirit. and just so you know, we heart you in our house.


cherrie--thanks for stopping by. looking forward to reading more of your comments

laura--that is a wonderful idea with the holiday lights. i am sure sophie will love it.