Tuesday, December 26, 2006

It's OK

As I mentioned in my previous post Laura and I had a wonderful weekend. We watched lots of movies and I was again reminded why I don't let Laura pick out movies. She has been wanting to see Wicker Man with Nicholas Cage for a while and rented it for the weekend. It was the most horrible movie I have ever seen. It was definitely 2 hours of my life that I will never get back. Thankfully she agreed that it was a stupid movie. If you are thinking about renting this movie, don't waste your money or time. We also watched A Love Song for Bobby Long which was very good and Invisible which was fantastic. Both Laura and I love the "underdog" movies. We had no idea that the coach that gave this guy a chance was Dick Vermeil who coached the Chiefs for 4 seasons. Then we watched All the Kings Men with Sean Penn. Also very good, but very deep.

On Saturday while I was taking my traditional weekend nap Laura discovered that we had the Logo channel. (gay/lesbian channel) I can't tell you how excited we are that we finally have this channel. I don't know how long we have had this channel, but Laura swears that it's just since last Thursday when TimeWarner was out changing our phone. So in between all our movies we watched a lot of the Logo channel. Last night we sat and watched 4 hours of "Coming Out" Stories. It's interesting watching people tell their loved ones they are gay. I am not sure if I would have had the guts to tell my family with it being filmed.

One of the shows that is on the Logo channel is called Nemesis Rising. It's a show about identical twin brothers that are trying to make it in the music business and they were raised Jehovah's Witness. The show is about their music careers as well as their families dealing with both of them being gay. You know I will be watching that show faithfully. I am sure there is so much I will be able to relate to. I am really looking forward to it.

We also watched this program about a woman going back to Utah after having been gone for 20 years. Raised a Mormon she was finally coming to terms with her faith, etc. Watching that show made me realize that it's ok for me to still have some fondness for the faith in which I was raised. Doesn't mean that I agree with it, but it's ok if there are some parts of it that I miss. Laura asked me what I miss the most and I think I would have to say the thing I miss the most is how it really is a community and everyone looks after everyone. I always loved singing at church and of course I miss my family. Watching this show it hit me hard that it's ok if I miss that stuff. Sometimes I find it shocking how just watching a show on TV will make a point hit home for me.

It's OK. It's OK.

3 comments:

Casey said...

You know what is strange? I was thinking of you the other day and got to wondering if you missed parts of being JW. It totally makes sense - it was your whole life for your entire childhood and much of your adult life thus far. It's only natural to miss parts of it. And you are so completely right; it IS ok to miss it.

Minnesota Nice said...

That's too bad, the original Wicker Man was a cult classic, I guess they shouldn't have tried to remake it. BTW I totally loved Little Miss Sunshine!!!!!!!!!! One of the highlights of my weekend!

Caroline said...

casey--believe it or not but before this one show I didn't realize it was ok to miss some things. now i do.

sandra--believe me, it was horrible. i am glad you liked little miss sunshine. we loved it so much..