Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Winter Returns

It seems that our summer like weather has come to a complete halt. Last night when I got home from work we had the back door open and the fan going. Amazingly it got up to 70 yesterday and boy was it humid. When we went to bed it was still warm so we slept with the window open. We woke up to 35 degrees and cold rain. Now the temp is below freezing and they are calling for ice all this afternoon and then snow tonight and tomorrow. Right now it just appears to be raining, but I am expecting it to change anytime now that it's below freezing.

My office windows look out to a street on a hill. People are driving like it's sunny and 80 degrees. I am just waiting for some idiot to slide into someone else, or even worse my office.

My office is very good about letting us go when the weather is bad. Any sign of ice and I am heading on home. People in Kansas City do not know how to drive in bad weather. It's as if they are all surprised that the roads are slick. Once I get home I will be able to enjoy the wintry weather with a cup of hot chocolate.

We have 4 TV stations in Kansas City and as it always is no one can agree on what the weather is going to do. One station said some ice, no snow. Another said lots of ice, very little snow. And then a third has said it's going to be a major ice storm followed by 4-8 inches of snow. It's so frustrating. I find myself watching the station that says we will get the most snow. In 2002 we had a major ice storm in Kansas City. Most of the city lost power for 3-4 days. I knew someone that still had no power after 12 days. With no power that means no heat as well. I kept myself warm during the day by going next door to Lynilu's and sitting in front of the fire place. At night I just froze. It was 3 of the most miserable days of my life. No shower, cold food and no heat. At least this time if the ice is that bad I will have Laura to join in my misery. I remember being so lonely during that time. I was out of the church for the first time and even though I had no heat (and they did) my family refused to let me come to their house. Oh, sweet memories.

Laura went out to the grocery story today because I told her that I didn't want to be snowed in with no junk food. Aren't I horrible. Here we both are trying to loose weight and she is training for a triathlon and I am tempting her with junk food.

**Update 2:15pm. Our office is closing at 3pm. All our trees at work and my car are covered in ice. If you are reading this Laura, have my hot chocolate ready around 3:30pm.**

10 comments:

Laura said...

I went to the grocery store, but the junk food isn't what you think. Sorry, Mable. I hope you get to stay home tomorrow!!

Anonymous said...

My trees and bushes are coated in ice right now. Maybe you should head home! I went to the grocery store, and it was full of older people, panicked about the ice.

Caroline said...

laura--one last time..my nickname is spelled M-A-B-E-L.

amy--did you see laura at the grocery store? she was panicked about the ice..oh wait, that was me.

SassyFemme said...

Okay you two, what's the story behind the Mabel nickname, and what kind of junk food did you end up with?

Hope you got home safely!

Laura said...

Why am i too stupid to spell M-A-B-E-L?

chapin said...

It took me 10 minutes to break into my ice covered car. Good luck and have safe travels on the way home. I agree with you about KC drivers. Stupid...stupid...stupid!!

Minnesota Nice said...

We had a 30 degree temp drop overnight too. BRRR!

Try putting chili powder and cinnamon in that cocoa, go Mexican!

Caroline said...

sassy--coming soon will be a post about where and why i am called mabel

laura--spell check..spell check

chapin--luckily the ice wasn't that bad on my car, but i am sure it will be bad tomorrow morning

sandra--oh, i forgot to tell laura to pick up chili powder for hot chocolate. that still sounds so good

Kitty said...

Forget the chili powder, add the marshmellows and whipped cream....yummy!

You and Laura need to move to God's country south with me, hardly any rain, and no ice yet! It's just cold and windy.

Can I tell why she calls you Mabel?

Caroline said...

kitty--i am going to have the hot chocolate both ways. don't say anything about my nickname. i am going to do a post about it.