Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Life of a Social Worker



Today has been one of those days at work that I will not soon forget. Here are some of the things I have had to deal with today.

1) My client this morning not only called me "a big fat liar", but she put her hands up and said when she gets mad she uses her hands. Just so you know, she was very mad at me by at this point. All this because I requested a drug test. She said all this while she held and nursed her 2 month old baby, which by the way reminded me a lot of TomKat's Suri. She left threatening me with a formal complaint and I so desperately wanted to say, "bring it on bitch", but I smiled and showed her where the proper paperwork was. Thank goodness our social work student was in with me during the assessment. I really needed a witness with this assessment.

2) I had someone call saying they just HAD to get in for an assessment today. They called at 3pm. I explained that there was no way I could get them in today. Found out it was ordered by their probation officer. This person explained to me that he had a dirty UA (drug test). This person told me the drug test was done one year ago. When asked when they last used marijuana this person told me, "two years ago." Huh? Last time I heard marijuana didn't stay in your system for that long.......unless you're still using. I then asked this person when they were ordered for an assessment. They said "just recently". I tried to get them to be more specific. Apparently, just recently is six months ago. Jesus Christ people. How many times do I have explain to you "lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

It's only Tuesday. I have 3 more days of this. Please Lord, help me get through this.

5 comments:

Casey said...

Oh. My.
What a day! Yikes.

SassyFemme said...

Ugh!

One Messed Up Chick said...

Yeah the song "Mama said there would be days like these" popped into my mind! Hopefully the rest of the week will be better for you!

Caroline said...

casey--yes it was a very interesting day, to say the least

sassy--i second that

eye--i am hoping a snow day will make the week a lot better

Minnesota Nice said...

"Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Heh, that's a good one. Think I'll hang it on my desk.