Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Cat's Out of the Bag

Laura and I had every intention on waiting until Thanksgiving to make an exciting announcement to the family. We decided that it would be best to tell her parents before we make the announcement to the family. We decided that today would be a good day since we were going to be visiting with them while we dropped the dog off. We got down there and 1/2 the family was there. At one point we were there with just her parents and her older sister. It didn't feel right to pull her parents aside because we knew her sister would wonder what the hell was going on. So we made the announcement to her parents and sister. I don't think we got the reaction we wanted, but we'll give it some time to settle in.

On April 16, 2007 Laura and I will be in the Florida Keys and we have a private charter in Key West that is going to take us out at sunset for our commitment ceremony. Laura and I have been committed to each other since the beginning, but this is more of a public declaration of our love and something we just really want to do. It's going to be a wonderful day and I look forward to it more then anything else next year. When we return we are going to throw a big celebration party at our house.

A few months ago Ragged and her beloved Cynical put together a CD with songs to celebrate their 10 years together. Laura and I thought that was a wonderful idea and really enjoyed their CD. In honor of our Commitment Ceremony Laura and I have put together a CD with songs that are meaningful to our relationship. There are some love songs that define our relationship, show how our relationship started and then songs that have made us laugh throughout our relationship. We decided it would only make sense to offer this CD to all the blogger friends that have supported me through this past year. If you would like a copy of our CD please email me your address and your non-blogger name to: carolinesemail73@yahoo.com I have listened to the CD nonstop for two weeks and it's now my favorite CD. Thanks for the idea Ragged.

I think there are some people that just don't understand why we would want to have a commitment ceremony. Laura and I love each other and we feel this is what is right for our relationship at this time. Not everyone will understand why we are doing this and that is ok. We just want our family to be happy for us because we are happy.

No matter how people react to this news, we are happy and that is all that should matter.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!!! Congratulations SO much!!! This is awesome news and I am very happy for you both. :)

Dakota and I had our wedding (full-on with big fluffy dress and everything) April 8th, 1995 and it's a day that I will forever cherish.

I'm so happy and thrilled for you. Congrats congrats congrats!!!

Lynilu said...

S.M.I.L.E!!! Whew! It is finally out! I can breathe better now. Openly and formally, Congratulations to the nth degree. I am really happy for you both and send my love. And yes, I want a copy of the CD. Hmmm. Do you know my non-blogger name and address? I think so!! ;-))

SassyFemme said...

I've been SO wondering what this big announcement was! A commitment ceremony at sundown on the water sounds beautiful and so romantic! I think that no matter how long you've been together, a ceremony seals your union in a way that goes beyond just being together and knowing you're committed to each other. Curious, do you think of it as a wedding, too?

Congrats ladies!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I wasn't going to check the blog this weekend, because I thought you'd stop writing while out of town!

Sunsets in Key West are so pretty -- it will be an awesome setting. Are you guys going to get rings? I don't know if you remember the stuff in my wedding ceremony about rings, but I thought it was a nice sentiment about how it shows the world, whether they know anything else about you at all, that you love someone and are committed to them.

Anyway, congrats again!

Minnesota Nice said...

Oh I'm so glad the big announcement wasn't that you're going to be in the Guinness Book for the most root canals ever, HOORAY!

You're right, all that matters is that YOU are happy, if others choose not to be, well bah humburg to them, too. I think it will be wonderful and beautiful, wish I could go!!!!

Caroline said...

casey--thank you so much. we are so happy about this.

lynilu--yea, i think i know your non blogger name. :):)

sassy--yea, that was the big announcement. in terms of a wedding..no we are not considering this a wedding. when it's legal then we'll have a wedding. we may be 90, but we'll wait no matter how long it takes

amy--so glad you checked. yes we will have rings. we already have matching rings, but we will get something with a diamond with these rings. i had forgotten the part in yoru wedding about the rings, but now i remember. i love that saying. it's perfect

sandra--lol. you are so funny. thank goodness it's not the record for the most root canals. hey, if you're in key west on april 16, you are more then welcome to come with us. we would love it.

Francesca said...

Congratulations! I'm really happy for the two of you!

I think it is a wonderful step and I do understand it. Making that formal and public declaration is another way of expressing your love and commitment to each other. It's special and you are both very lucky to have each other. Your relationship sounds very nurturing and healthy.

Here's to you, Caroline & Laura!

And thanks for sharing... ;)

Hugs!

Isabel said...

Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for the both of you.

Monogram Queen said...

Honey I agree with you 100%. You deserve to declare your love for each other just as everyone else does via a "wedding". I wish nothing but the best for you all in this joyous event and have already emailed you for the CD.
Congrats Caroline and Laura!

Zoe said...

Congratultions! Sorry you didn't get the reaction you were hoping for, but YOU are happy and that is all that should matter.

Caroline said...

francesca--i've never been happier and i want the whole world to know. thanks for stopping by

traci--it's going to be a picture perfect moment and i just can't wait.

isabel--thank you so much

patti--got your request and the cd will be in the mail soon. hope you enjoy the cd

zoe--one important thing i have learned...it doesn't matter how anyone else reacts; laura and i are happy and that is all that matters.

Sonya said...

YAY!!! This is awesome news. Congrats to the both of you! It will be a day so awesome, a day filled with so many incredible memories.

Carie and I went to Seattle for our commitment ceremony and then went to an Island in the Puget Sound for our honeymoon. We recently celebrated our 5 year anniversary of the ceremony. I can remember everything like it was yesterday.

Congrats!

One Messed Up Chick said...

Congratulations!!! Im so happy for both of you. Would you believe that April 16th is our wedding anniversary as well. April 16th 2004 !! Not only are we blogger friends, we will share an anniversary together too :) That is awesome news...We are so happy!!

Trop said...

Congratulations!

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Congratulations! What wonderful news. I am happy for you both! Happiness all around!

Caroline said...

sonya--i love seattle and i bet your wedding was beautiful.

eyeoftherainbow--how cool that we will have the same anniversary.

trop--thanks

ragged--thanks and thanks for the idea for the cd.

Nathalie said...

Congratulations to you both :) That's wonderful news! As Bobbie stated, our anniversary is on the same day yours will be. April 16th is a date that I will forever cherish in my hearts, and I know for a fact that it will be the same for you both. Best wishes and once again Congratulations :)

Kitty said...

I'm sorry I didn't give the wanted reaction, but like it has been said I'm happy for you both because you are happy.

Caroline said...

naticole--i was so excited when bobbie told me that we will have the same anniversary. i think that's very cool. thanks for stopping by

kitty--it's hard to believe, but we are even happier then we were on saturday. it only gets better.

Anonymous said...

Tom and Katie have Armani as a guest at their wedding. Should we invite Eddie Bauer to our Commitment ceremony on C.'s behalf? Just a protocol question.

Holly said...

Congratulations to you both! It sounds absolutely wonderful.

Caroline said...

anonymous--haha laura.

holly--thanks so much. we can't wait for the day to get here.

Wendy and Karen said...

Awesome! We're so very happy for you both!