Thursday, November 16, 2006

10 Years


Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of my Grandma's death. In the back of my mind I knew yesterday was the anniversary, but it wasn't until late in the afternoon that I acknowledged it. November 15 has always been a hard day because of how much I miss her.


My Mom's Mom was a true sweetheart. She loved her family so much and it showed every time you saw her. When my brother and I were younger her and my Grandpa were the ones that would watch us when my parents would go out of town. We had some good times when my parents were gone and it was just the four of us.


My Grandma loved Hershey's Bars. There was never a time when you would go to her house and there wouldn't be any. For the first couple of years after her death I would go to the grave on November 15 and lay a Hershey's Bar on her grave. I always think of her when I see or eat a Hershey's Bar.


About a week before she passed away I got a call from my aunt asking if I could go to my Grandma's house to sit with her that evening. My Grandma was not sick, but when her husband would go to church in the evening she didn't like staying by herself. At first I was a little upset because for the first time in a while I had the evening off work. I did go and spend the evening with her. It was probably one of the best memories I have of my Grandmother. The two of us sat (in the house I now own) and just talked all evening. We were just talking about life and other things. It's a memory I will have forever.


One week later I got a call from my Mom at 6am saying my Grandma had been taken to the hospital. She had a bleeding ulcer and they tried to correct it through surgery, but due to JW's not taking blood my Grandma fell into a coma and never came out. Before she went into surgery the family was allowed to go and talk to her. Because she was in ICU just two of us could go back at a time. My cousin and I went back together and as we were leaving my Grandma told my cousin and I that she loved us so much and that everything would be ok. I think she knew she was not going to wake up. A few hours later, with the entire family by her bedside she passed away.


The funeral was 4 days later, on the first anniversary of my wedding with my ex husband. My Mom later told me that at my wedding my Grandma was so excited to have a new dress that she told my Mom she wanted to be buried in that dress. Exactly one year later she was buried in that dress with a Hershey Bar in her hand of course.

8 comments:

Casey said...

Ok - no fair making me cry this early inthe day. And now I;m really missing MY grandmother. There is just something really amazing about grandparents. *sigh*

Monogram Queen said...

Oh Caroline you've made me get all teary-eyed and I can't find a tissue...
I know of what you speak. April 16 is my day. I think of my Grandmothers and my Grandfather, and miss them - every.single.day

One Messed Up Chick said...

What wonderful memories you will always have of your grandma. I feel the same way about my grandma. (hugs)

Lynilu said...

Oh, Caroline, I miss that lovely lady, too. She was a very special person, but you know how I feel about that since we've talked so much about her. I enjoy those times I spent with her so very much. She had a generous and loving heart, and I know she watches over you. Now I'm getting all misty, too. Love to you and love to the Lady Alice, also.

Minnesota Nice said...

I've been thinking of my grandfather so much lately, there's something in the air I guess! For those of us who had less than perfect parents, it's so precious to have good memories of grandparents to hold on to. Do you have any photos of your grandma? I'd love to see her.

Caroline said...

casey--sorry about that. grandparents are pretty special

patticake--i know what you mean. living in my grandma's house really brings back a lot of memories

eyeoftherainbow--yes, i do have wonderful memories of both my grandma's.

lynilu--she was pretty amazing.thanks for reminding me that she looks over me.

sandra--i couldn't agree with you more. when i get home i will go through my pictures and post some. there are some really good ones of just the two of us.

SassyFemme said...

Y'all really burried your grandma with a Hershey bar in her hand? I actually think that's such a cool thing.

Caroline said...

sassy--yes we really did bury her with a hershey's bar. that's how she would have wanted it.

traci--i think my pain comes from just missing her so much and i am kicking myself for not taking more pictures of her.