Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Strays

We have gone from summer weather (Saturday 90's) to almost winter like weather today (cloudy 50's). Actually winter is a lot colder, but it sure feels like winter when you just had 90's three days ago. I love the cool weather and love having the back door open in the evenings, but even last night it got a little chilly for me. Usually Laura is the one that is cold, but last night she seemed fine and I was the one asking if we could close the door. We didn't dare sleep with the window open.

We have 3 strays that we take care of. Blacky is the Dad, Betty is the Mom and the little baby is Billie Jean. Don't you just love those names. Well, Betty (aka Mama) is currently with child. We have been watching her little belly grow over the past few weeks. We are pretty sure that Betty and Blacky sleep in our neighbors yard (not Lynilu) in their shed. I am a little concerned because the Baby (Billie Jean) was sleeping in our yard last night. I always take in their food at night so we not attract skunks or coons, which by the way we get if the food is left out. When I went out at 10pm Billie Jean was sleeping on the mulch in the front. I felt bad because Blacky and Betty were no where in sight. I think they have kicked Billie Jean out of the shed. Maybe once the kittens are born they will let Billie Jean back in. So today at lunch I am on a mission. I am going to go find a small dog house that we can put out so that Billie Jean has a warm place to sleep. It can get pretty cold at night during the fall and winter. It's not uncommon for the temps to drop into the teens or much lower in the winter. So today my goal is to find Billie Jean a home for the winter. Knowing Blacky and Betty they will want to be in the cute little house that I find for Billie Jean once it gets cold and snowy.

I have really become attached to the Stray Family, as we call them. Blacky has been hanging around our house for probably six years. He knows his name and allows us to pet him. In fact, when we are putting out their canned food in the evening he will demand attention. Betty is a little more shy and has yet to allow us to pet her. But she is so curious about Blacky letting us pet him and give him lots of love. Billie Jean just looks at us like, "oh, I want you to pet me, but I am so scared".

With Betty being "with child" I am sure that we will have more kittens running around in the next few months. I really should take Blacky (since he will let me pet him and pick him up) to get fixed. That would really help with the problem of strays in our neighborhood. He has probably fathered 100+ babies. In fact, he is the Father of our cat Ben. He is known around the neighborhood as the "stud".

4 comments:

Minnesota Nice said...

I have livetrapped local strays, taken them in to be neutered and released them, and they did just fine afterwards. In fact they got into less fights which was good. Might want to try it?

Anonymous said...

I love that you guys take care of the neighborhood homeless kitties. The dog house for them is a good idea, and works. Friends of our back in San Antonio did that for the porch kitties, kept them safe and warm through the winter.

Kitty said...

And I have to ask, what happended to all the 100 babies he has fathered?

I really do wish you or someone else would take Stud, Betty, and Billie Jean to be fixed.

It makes me angry that people are not more responsible when it comes to their pets (not you, but Betty and Stud had to come from somewhere)

You know how I am about animals. You remember when I moved into this house there was John and Pam and their 24hr old 7 babies. I took them and had them all fixed except John. He ran off two days before his appointment.

I can get a live trap for you if you would like and we can make an appointment at the clinic where I took mine. It only costs $15 each for them to be fixed and get all their shots.

When the babies come we can do it again and then maybe there will not be more babies.

I will help you guys, just let me know.

Monogram Queen said...

Yeah you really need to have Blacky fixed. Y'all are angels! Kitty I heart you!