Friday, September 22, 2006

Beautiful

Yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in more then six months. Laura and I joined this gym in January 2005 and used it a lot until about six months ago. After our trip to Florida we kind of lost our zeal to go. We continued to pay the $55/month for our membership, although it went unused. Canceling the membership was not an option for me. I felt that if we canceled our membership it was admitting to failure. So we continued to pay for it.

When you swipe your card at the gym it tells when the last time you were there. I kept wondering what the front desk person was thinking seeing that I had not been to the gym since March. I didn't want to see the exact day because I was afraid that maybe it was actually before March.

We kept saying we planned on going back to the gym. But things kept coming up. Once summer got here we kept saying we were going to do more things outside. But then this past summer was so hot. Just walking to the car would cause you to break out in a full sweat. Then my back started hurting. In fact, it is still hurting, but I know the one thing that will cease this pain is losing some weight. And now here we are the end of September. It's amazing how fast six months goes by without you even knowing it.

Laura tells me daily that I am beautiful. Now if I could just figure out how to think that about myself. Going to the gym is one way. I always feel better about myself after I go to the gym. No matter what kind of day I am having, when I leave the gym life always seems better.

6 comments:

Lynilu said...

Hey, kiddo, keep doing things that improve your health (exercise, eating right, taking care of your health, no smoking) and your self esteem will go up, up, up!! BTW, adding something like yoga or tai chi will help your mental AND physical being. That's what I'm going to start as soon as I can when I get to Allan's. I will finally have time to devote to self-improvement rather than home-improvement!! Think how beautiful we will both be in a year.

Anonymous said...

Good for you getting back there and not canceling. I'm in the same boat -- I haven't been in a couple months, but I can't cancel. Does your place have a pool? You were always a good swimmer, and that would be good for your back. My mom started swimming and has had a much better time with her back problems.

Caroline said...

lynilu--i know you have a whole list of things that you want to once you get settled. can't wait to hear all about them

amy--yes, our gym has two pools. we have often thought of swimming, but i always feel i get a better workout on the elicpical trainer, even though sometimes my back hurts afterwards. i need to slow some things down to allow my back time to heal.

Anonymous said...

I'm betting the person at the front desk didn't even bat an eye. I'm sure there are people who haven't been in much longer (um, like Fran and me). Now our "gym" is in the basement and we still haven't gone. It's pitiful.

Fran and I call it the Beasties when you don't see/think that you're beautiful/cute/attractive. We've both been through that, and still sometimes fight it.

Kitty said...

Gym? What the hell is that?

Does that tell you how long I've been? Ugh, I think the last time I saw a gym and was in workout clothes was when Anthony was about 18 months old.

It's a nasty word that has been deleted from my vocab.

I would rather bicycle.

Monogram Queen said...

Keep it up Hon, sticking to it is the key :)
Laura is such a sweetie. You are beautiful no matter what weight but I know all about how YOU feel is what counts also.