Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Dental Adventures

My trip to the dentist yesterday was pretty uneventful, thank God. The crown that was made for my tooth was the perfect fit and slid right into place. Immediatly my mouth felt 150% better. The temporary that was put on was jagged and it was the first thing I felt when I would bite down. This crown fits perfect and I have NO pain. Wow, that is the first time I have said that in two months now. Now for the bad news. I have a bunch of cavities that need to be filled. The total cost for that will be $600. I am scheduled for the middle of September to start that process. I am doing 1/2 the fillings on one day and then the other half on another day. I asked if they would do them all in one day, but they told me no. Oh well, I tried.

About 3 weeks ago I started to notice a pain in my right leg when I would lay down at night. Within a week I was having trouble standing on my leg. There were a few times that my leg would almost give out on me. I kept thinking that I just pulled a muscle, but it has not gotten any better. Laura finally told me that if I didn't call the doctor then I wasn't allowed to complain about it anymore. I realized that it had gotten pretty bad and I needed to do soemthing. So, last week I called the doctor and I have an appointment this afternoon. I am thinking it's my sciatic nerve. When I lay in bed at night I will get a shooting pain down my right leg. Last night my leg was hurting so bad and the pain was all the way down in my ankle. God, I feel that I am falling apart. Laura keeps saying we just need to get a good supply of duct tape. One good thing: I will have one hell of a deduction this year on my taxes. All the money going out for co-pays, rx's, etc, etc will be good for the taxes this year.

Neglecting my health these last ten years has been hell on my body. I have the diabetes under control, but now I am dealing with the after effects. I had not idea that diabetes could do this to you. Before the current problems with my teeth I only had two cavities in my entire life. I am thankful that my parents taught me good dental hygiene. But two years not going to the dentist (no insurance) and then having the diabetes already going without knowing it really fucked up my system. But I am on the path to better health now. And Friday I will be adding one more thing to that by becoming a non-smoker again. I have learned from the book that I am reading not I shouldn't say "I am quitting or have quit smoking" because that means I had to give something up. When in fact I am not giving anything up, but gaining so much. I am getting so excited to be done with my cigarettes so I can move on to the next phase. I am already feeling that I don't need to smoke and it's rare for me to finish a cigarette now. Like I said in a comment yesterday I am ready to be done.

No comments: