Monday, July 10, 2006

Taking Back MY Neighborhood

In my last post I indicated that I wanted to move. Well, after much thought I realized that at this moment moving is not an option. Laura and I have some long-term plans that we want to accomplish and that means staying in this house for a little bit longer. And, this was my Grandmother's house so there is a lot of memories in this house and no matter what it will be hard leaving.

So, I thought about what I could do for the moment to make me feel more comfortable living in this house. It has been "suggested" that I whine about my problems and do nothing about them. I beg to differ. For Gods sake I am a social worker. I realize there are a lot or problems in the world and I have dedicated my life's profession to make the world a little better. Anyway, so as I was thinking about what I could do to make our neighborhood a little better I came up with the perfect solution. I decided that I need to start a "Neighborhood Watch" program for our street. We have some great neighbors that do care about our neighborhood and I know they will be supportive of my endeavor. I've already called the city to see what I need to do to get started to make this idea a reality. The person I talked to gave me all the information that I need and is sending me out a packet of information to get the ball rolling. I feel good about this. The city usually provides the signs that go in your neighborhood, but due to funding we would have to buy them if we want them. At $17.99 a piece (minimum of 2 required) that is no problem.

My next goal is to go around and speak to the neighbors about my idea. As I said before, I am pretty sure that most will be very supportive. After that Laura and I will host a meeting where a represenative from the city will come speak to us and our neighbors as well as an officer. They did tell me that once you form a Neighborhood Watch the police a lot of times will call you to inform you of any recent breakouts of buglary or other crimes. I already feel more powerful.

Not that I have to prove anything to anyone, but I am very proud of this idea of mine. My Grandparents lived in this house and they loved it. I am determined to take back MY neighborhood and not let anyone or anything scare me out of it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! I would love to see the neighborhood back to how it used to be. It is scary for me to think of all those neighbors and my mom there. It was such a safe place growing up.

Caroline said...

tl--thanks for stopping by my blog. i still think our little part of the neighborhood is ok, but after that explosion Sat. night I realized the "thugs" are moving closer to us. time to take the control back.

Lynilu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Caroline said...

(orignially posted by Lynilu)

tl - after being back, I feel more comfortable than I thot I would. Honestly, the kids that lived here when you were in this part of the country were far, WAY FAR worse than what is here now. Tuck your worry away just a little bit, OK? :-) I think if caroline knew what used to go on around here, she would be more comfortable. I'll talk with her.

C - YAY!!! This should be done in any neighborhood. We can't get along without our neighbor security, love, etc. This is very positive step, and I commend you for taking it on. Count on me to help.

Isabel said...

That's great! Good luck with everything.

Caroline said...

isabel--thank you.i am very excited about everything.

SassyFemme said...

Good for you!!!

yankeegirl said...

Go Caroline!
It's a great idea to be involved in your neighborhood!
Your actions will make sure that other kids in your neighborhood will have great memories of home just like you did when it was Grandma's house.

Monogram Queen said...

YOU GO GIRL! Take back your home and your neighborhood. Be not a slave of fear. You are getting the ball rolling. I'm so proud of you!

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--thanks

yankeegirl--i've never done anything like this, but am really looking forward to this adventure

patticake--thank you so much. i am also pretty proud of myself