Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Root Canal Part 3

Yesterday I stayed home from work. It was part mental health day and partly because my mouth was very sore. Last night I was feeling pretty good and decided there was no reason why I wouldn't be able to go to work today. At 3:30 I woke up with the most horrible pain in my tooth. I have never felt pain like this before. I literally shot up out of a deep sleep. I got up and took from Advil hoping that would help with the pain. As I was laying back in bed all I could focus on was this horrible pain. So I wouldn't distrub Laura I decided to go downstairs. While down there the pain become unbearable. I decided that I would just have to take a pain pill. Knowing that they make me very sleeply I decided with this pain and then the effects of the pain pill there was no way I could go into work today. So, at 4:30am I called and left a message at my work. I feel bad for not going in, but I really didn't have any other choice.

This morning I called my dentist right when they opened. Luckily they were able to get me in just a few short hours later. They x-rayed my tooth and said overall it looked good (root canal part), but that I had another infection due to the trauma from the root canal. So guess what? He put me on even stronger antibotics for another 10 freaking days. Great. He also gave me some not so good news. He said that if after the 10 days on the antibotics and my tooth is not better he will have to pull the tooth. Crap. He said the tooth is very bad and he is doing everything so I don't loose the tooth. The tooth that they did the root canal is like the 3rd back on my left top side. So, it won't be that noticeable if they pull it, but I would need to have a bridge put in. The talk of me possibly having to have a bridge makes me feel old. He did tell me that the money I have paid for the root canal will be applied towards the brdige. That's some reassurance. Apparently having a bridge put in is very, very expensive. When I think of someone having a bridge in their mouth I think of someone my parents age, not 33.

So this afternoon I am feeling kind of depressed. Not only do I not feel good phsyically cause of the pain, but I am feeling bad for not caring for myself phsyically better. The dentist said that my sudden teeth problems are due to the diabetes. I have got to stay on the ball with keeping my sugars under control.

Laura and I were suppose to go camping this weekend, but decided against it. Not only do I not want to be out in the middle of nowhere if I start having more problems, but it's suppose to be warmer here then it has been in two years. They are talking temps in the 100's. Plus, I was due to take Monday off since we were going to be camping, but with the two days I have missed this week, it's probably better that I go into work anyway.

What a crappy Tuesday this has been so far. Let's hope it gets better.

9 comments:

One Messed Up Chick said...

gee when it rains it pours eh? I am sending you good positive waves your way! :) (((((hugs))))))

Caroline said...

onecrazylady--yes, it seems that way doesn't it. all day i have had the song "the sun will come out tomorrow" in my head.

Lynilu said...

I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble. Hang in, sweetie.

Caroline said...

lynilu--nothing that a little bit of pain pills can't take care of. Actually tonight I am feeling pretty good. No pain at all in the tooth. Let's hope this continues.

Married Lesbian Mom said...

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

SassyFemme said...

I hope you're doing better today (Wed.) Don't forget to eat lots of yogurt while you're on the strong antibiotics! Hey, before they pull the tooth, if it doesn't get better, can you get another opinion from an Endodontist? Maybe there's something else they can do for you?

Caroline said...

marriedlesbianmom--today i am feeling a little better. YEA

sassyfemme--we have stocked up on yogurt. i don't usually like yougurt, but i hate yeast infections more. thankfully i am feeling a little better today. (wed)

Monogram Queen said...

Yick I hope your toot is doing better. That is such an annoying thing, you literally cannot concentrate on anything else but that pain in your mouth.
Poor you :(

Caroline said...

patticake--that is how i was on monday night/tuesday morning. i couldn't get my mind off the pain. it was horrible. but i am feeling much better now, thank goodness