Saturday, July 29, 2006

Priorities

Well, it's another hot one out there. Temps are in the high 90's and tomorrow it's suppose to break 100. So,what to do on a hot, humid summer day. Go to the movies. We went and saw Miami Vice. It actually was very good. I had wanted to see it since seeing the previews in the spring. Then today I saw something on tv about it saying it wasn't that good. I kind of hestitated, but decided what the heck. And it did not disappoint. The music was awesome throughout the entire movie. That soundtrack is the next thing on our list to get.

Watching all the scenes in Florida made has long for a vacation in Florida. We have reserverations to go in April,but that seems just too far away. Ever since we went there in April we have thought seriously about just selling everything and moving there. I wasn't too thrilled or impressed with Miami when we drove through it. First of all, the drivers are crazy. We were on the Florida Turnpike and the drivers were all over the place. One of the scariest drives of my life. Once you hit highway 1 everything slows way down and you feel like you are in the islands. God, I miss that place.

Both Laura and I don't belong in a state that is land locked. We both love water so much and living in a state where the only water we have is man made lakes is depressing. Growing up my parents took me all over the place. Hawaii, Cayman, Hondurus to just name a few. When we merged onto highway 1 in southern Florida I saw an instant change in Laura. It was as if she knew she was home. I love seeing that in her face.

One of the main reasons we don't just pack up and move is because of family. Laura is very close with her family and her Mom is stuggling with a horrible disease right now. Her Mom was diagnosed with MS 9 years ago. Her Mom is still so filled with life and it's hard to see her struggle with this disease. Luckily her Mom is still able to walk and be as independant as she was before the disease, but we know that one day this may change. And I understand completly why Laura wants to stay close to her parents. I would do the same if my Mom was dealing with something like this and needed my help. Laura is a good daughter. She loves her parents so much and it's hard to see her deal with the emotions that she has in regards to her Mom's MS.

So for now we will take the vacations to the keys and think later about possibly moving. Family is important to both of us. And right now our family needs us here in Kansas City. My parents may doubt my importance of family. But there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of them and wonder how they are doing. My heart breaks everytime I see my Mother and she just turns away from me. But they are still my family and regardless of what they think I do still love them and wish things could be different.

6 comments:

Lynilu said...

Life is all about priorities. Wouldn't you love to have an occasional day or week that you didn't have to follow priorities? I surely would.

Caroline said...

lynilu--i would love a day like that.

SassyFemme said...

Family is what kept us in TX for 13 years, first keeping our daughter in her same school with her same friends, then later taking care of my parents. The time for "us" and moving was later, and we don't regret staying in TX all those years. Family first, always, and you won't reget it.

Monogram Queen said...

Y'all are doing the right thing. My heart broke a little just readin the words about your mother turning away from you. Honey I just can't imagine doing that. :(

Monogram Queen said...

that should have read "reading", I wasn't going for a hillbilly accent even though I do say y'all and live in the Deep South LOL

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--family has always been first for us and we already don't regret it

patticake--not a lot of people understand my MOms view of everything and most will never understand her. i know i don't.