Monday, July 24, 2006

I Want to be a Quitter Too

I want to quit smoking. Last week I read Sandra's blog and she was telling us how she is reading this book that is suppose to help you quit. What I liked from what Sandra wrote was that you can (and are encouraged to) continue to smoke until you finish the book.

So, this morning I was sitting at my desk thinking about when to go out for my morning smoke break and I decided I need to go buy this book. It's time that my life is not run by cigarettes. I am so tired of smelling bad, burning myself and most of all spending the money. We get paid twice a month and I always go buy 2 cartons of cigarettes. I smoke about a pack a day (some days more, some days less), but by buying the cartons I always felt I was saving money. So, twice a month I shell out at least $55 for the two cartons. Every once in a while Marlboro is generous and will send me a few coupons. The coupons barely cover the taxes. So, I have had it. It's time to change.

At lunch I went to Barnes&Noble and bought this book. I have read through chapter 2 and already feel calmer about quitting. I can't wait to see how I feel at the end of the book.

The first time I had a cigarette was at summer camp. I was 16 and we all wanted to see what it was like. We were on a sailing trip and there was a marina with a cigarette machine. We shelled out the money and went to the woods to smoke. I didn't like it, but there was no way I was going to tell the other girls I didn't like it. We even took back a pack and smoked it behind our cabin. Thank God we were not caught. I have no idea what they would have done. When I got home I got my first job and everyone there smoked. I smoked to join in with them. Keep in mind, when I say smoke, I mean I would put the cigarette in my mouth, but not inhale. After a few weeks I felt so guilty that I told my Mom who told me I should tell the elders. I called one of the elders and he said that he was happy I told them, but no discipline would be taken since I had stopped. Whew.

Fast forward to 1999. I am in a very unhappy marriage and having feelings for women. I started hanging out with this woman that also worked in social services. We would hang out at bars and she smoked. One night she asked me if I wanted a cigarette. It had never occured to me to smoke. To please her I said yes. I then felt I needed to smoke to be "cool". I was able to go weekends without smoking and one pack would last me a week and a half. Then I went out with a friend from work and she watched me smoke and she said, "you're not doing that right." She told me that I wasn't inhaling and if I really wanted to feel the effects of smoking I needed to inhale. Damn her. Again, to please a woman I did what she told me to. I was hooked immediately. Within two weeks I was smoking a pack a day and had come down with bronchities.

Now here it is 7 years later and the one woman that actually loves and cares for me has begged me for two years to quit smoking. And until now I have just blown her off. Why is it I would start smoking for a woman that didn't care about me, but the one that loves me dearly and wants to spend forever with me I can't seem to quit.

It's time to do what I want to, not what everyone else wants me to do. I need to do this for me. Because if I am doing it for anyone but me, it won't work.

So, here's to quitting smoking and forever being a non-smoker.

10 comments:

Lynilu said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-HAWWWWWWW! You go, girl!! Best news I've had in a long time, and today has been a day of good news!!!

Caroline said...

lynilu--it's good news for me as well

traci--i do plan on quitting. the sooner the better. i have seen too many people suffer the consequences of smoking and today it just hit me

Isabel said...

Good luck! My dad quit cold turkey a few years ago. The only time he smokes are at special occassions when they guys are smoking cigars. Other than that, not one cigerette.

You can do it.

One Messed Up Chick said...

That is good news to hear. The hardest part in quitting is admitting that you need to quit! We will be here to support you and listen to you if you need to vent :) hugs

Minnesota Nice said...

I admit I am delaying 100% finishing the book because I'm afraid to make it final!! But the book has helped me cut down to the fewest I've ever been at, so we'll see! Maybe I really am ready, I sure feel close.

Oh good luck Caroline, won't it be nice to spend that money on something else!!??

Caroline said...

isabel--i've tried to quit cold turkey and i was miserable..

onecrazylady--thanks for the support. i do plan on venting on this blog when i put down the cigarettes

sandra--it will be wonderful to have that extra money..and with the water heater problems, that money will come in handy

Monogram Queen said...

Honey it is HARD to quit smoking from what I understand. Good for you, you can do it!

yankeegirl said...

caroline,
Good for you! Lost both my parents to smoking. My mother 12 days from diagnosis til death. I hope you use whatever it takes to kick this habit so you will spend many many happy years with Laura

Caroline said...

patticake--i've tried like two other times, but was never as serious as i am now. i'm going for the gold this time. :)

yankeegirl--sorry about your loss. that is part of the reason i want to quit. i have seen the consequences of smoking with too many people

Anonymous said...

here from sassyfemme's page. hopped on over and read many of your posts. it appears everyone has been touched somehow by the effects of smoking. i am no exception. both my parents smoked for years; quitting over 10 years ago now i think. my mom has inoperable lung cancer in both lungs, but it hasn't progressed in the last 6 years, i guess that is a good hting. i started smoking when i was 14, and quit for around 5 years, then took it back up. i'm asthmatic and have chronic bronchitis,and have a wicked medical history in my biological family so i am in a high risk group. i have not made the commitment to stop yet. but i wish you luck and success in your journey to becoming smoke free. poet