Saturday, July 08, 2006

The *CAR* Gods Must Be Crazy

What was suppose to be a nice relaxing Saturday has turned into anything but that. When I woke up I watched the news and saw that it is suppose to rain tomorrow. I am very particular (some might called is obessed) with our lawn. With no rain we have been watering it about 2x a week to make sure it stays green. Most people have stopped mowing their lawn due to the lack of rain and the grass going dormant. Not ours. So, I got up and decided I would mow this morning. Laura was a little irriated with me, but knew there was no talking me out of it. As I was mowing she went out to get us some breakfast. When I came in from mowing Laura called. She stated that when she went to start the car (Honda) it was dead. CRAP. We were told in January that we should probably get a new battery, but neglected to do so. Everytime we went to Wal-Mart we would say, "we'll get the battery on the next visit." Well, to make matters worse Laura had taken her set of car keys. My set of keys does not have a spare key to her car. So, I am stuck. Again, CRAP.

Luckily our trusted neighbor Lyniluwas home and willing to take me up to where Laura was. We were pretty sure it was the battery, but until you jumpstart the car and it starts you just don't know. We were unable to use Lynilu's car to jumpstart the car due to her having an awkward battery. We were very thankful for her offer though. Once we got Laura's car back to the Honda we jumped it and it quickly started. Knowing that we had big plans for the pool today we decided we would just take it to our local Firestone store. Man did we get screwed. A battery at Walmart is maybe $60. Well, in the end we were charged $139 for them to simply change the battery. That's what we get for waiting too long.

As I was driving the Honda home I tried to turn the radio on. There was nothing. It was asking for a security code that I didn't have. Reading the manual it said you would need this code when the radio is disconnected from it's power source. Some sort of security measure. When I get home I call the local Honda dealership seeing if they can help me. They told me unless I have the code they would charge me $99 to take the radio out to find the serial number. Double CRAP. The guy did tell me that sometimes there is a sticker in the glover compartment. I ran out and it was there. Thank GOD. I am not sure what would have been worse; paying $99 to find the code or driving without a radio/CD player. We lucked out. I will tell you this, I would have been pissed if I would have had to pay Honda $99 to take the radio out just to get the code.

I thought I was going to have a breakdown today. With all that was going on and then the turmoil that my last few posts have caused it's unbearable. One saying keeps coming to my mind, "Can't we all just get along?"

Thank goodness lynilu had been so gracious and invited us over for a nice relaxing dinner. Oh, and my tooth feels find as long as I keep taking pain meds. June and July have turned out to be a very expensive month for us.

Is it Fall yet?

6 comments:

SassyFemme said...

$99 for 10min. to take the radio out for a serial number is highway robbery, glad you didn't have to pay it!

One Messed Up Chick said...

$99 for hardly any work, Darn I am in the wrong profession! :)

Lynilu said...

Yeah, well, about that nice relaxing dinner see my blog!!

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--i think the whole thing was a ripoff. we are very glad we didn't have to pay either

onecrazylady--that's what i was thinking too. thinking about what people get paid for doing and the amount they get paid is crazy

lynilu--the dinner was wonderful and the conversation even better. it was the expolosion that rocked us all. just read her blog to find the whole story

Monogram Queen said...

Wow it never ceases to amaze me how these car dealerships try to rip you off. Amazinghe let that little tidbit of info slip out about the sticker in the glovebox!

Caroline said...

pattickae--i know..kind of pissed me off that i was never told of this code in the first place. luckily i found the number..i would have been pissed if i had to pay the $99