Friday, July 21, 2006

Awww...Finally Relief from the Heat

Wow, what a difference 24 hours makes. We woke up this morning to storms and much, much cooler temperatures. When the alarm went off I thought maybe it was a mistake because it was so dark in the house. I looked outside and it was pouring rain. What a great feeling that is. I knew it was going to be cooler. Once I got to work my office was FREEZING. No one had adjusted the temp. for the a/c unit so it was still working to get the office at 66 degrees. I turned it up a little so we wouldn't freeze. But I think it's only 72 degrees outside. That's a huge difference from 104 yesterday. About 5 minutes after I got to work this morning the power flickered on and off. Just enough to reset all our computers. Then five minutes later the power went off. This has happened here before and it's funny because we all just sit in our offices like we don't know what to do without power. Luckily all the offices here have huge windows, so we aren't completly in the dark. I quickly said a few prayers hoping that maybe it would be something that would take all day to repair. An hour later the power came back on. But now our computers weren't working. Well, the computers were working it was the network that wasn't working. Which means you can't do anything anyway. No Office Outlook, no internet, nothing. I had a meeting at 11am and the computers were still not working. By the time I got out at noon they were working. About 1/2 way through my meeting I realized I hadn't been able to check my normal blogs. I think I had started to go through withdrawls. Luckily, all is well again.

It appears the cold front that has blown into town has also helped my temperment now. Last night it was still so humid. Laura and I had bought some mulch a few days before and decided last night was the perfect time to put it down. When you put down new mulch I hate how you can tell where the new mulch is and the old mulch is. Once the mulch gets really wet you can't tell. We knew it was going to rain, so this would be the perfect time. So, we were outside at 9pm mulching our front lawn. I know the neighbors (you don't have to answer this Lynilu) must think we are nuts. We'll do anything for the lawn to look perfect.

We got a call yesterday that Laura's Aunt Pinky (I would love to have a cool nickname like this) had falled and broken her hip. Laura's Dad is the youngest of 6 and so her Dad has brothers that are in their late 70's. Aunt Pinky is married to Laura's Dad's brother. I just adore Aunt Pinky. I guess she was out doing her shopping at Dollar General and fell while there. They live in small town about 45 minutes south of us and it's such a small town that the workers at the store called Uncle Jim and said, "Jim, Pinky has fallen." Everyone knows everyone. She had surgery at midnight today and is doing ok. They had to put in a pin and metal plate. I guess the only pain she has right now is the ingrown toenail on her foot. I am sure once they unhook her from the morphine she will be feeling a lot more. So, say a couple extra prayers for Aunt Pinky. She's a pretty special lady. She is in her 70's, lives in a small country town and completly accepts me and Laura as a couple. Infact, when we see her if she doesn't see us both at first she always asks, "where's your better half?"

Not much on the calender for this weekend. Laura has been craving a steak all week, so I think we have talked Lynilu into going out to dinner with us. We always have way too much fun when we get together with Lynilu. Let's just hope the police aren't called this time.

5 comments:

Casey said...

Please send the cold front this way. We have 104 today and even hotter predicted for the weekend.

I don't like hot but now that we (finally) have a/c - I like it much more. :) Of course this is the weekend we are going out to the coast and staying in a non a/c inn. Of course it is. And yes, it will be just as hot there.

Go figure.

Enjoy the cool temps!

SassyFemme said...

Glad you guys got some relief from the heat. So, since you're so good about having a perfect lawn, want to take a road trip up north to help with our so totally not perfect lawn? LOL

Isabel said...

72 degress? What does that feel like again? We're not going to lucky like you guys did. It's still going to be hot. But I'm glad you got the cool temps.

Lynilu said...

I don't *have* to, but you know I'm gonna!!! ;-)) Silly girl! I don't think y'all are nuts. Not at all. I'm quite sure of it!! But that's for another time! And, yes, folks, we went to dinner last night and had a very good time. I always enjoy the time I spend with these two. Lively conversation, humor, downright silliness, topped off with excellent food, and you've got a great time. I'm so glad to have neighbors like this.

Monogram Queen said...

Glad y'all got a cold front! It is rainy today here too yiippeee!!
Now between you & Cheeky you've got me craving a steak too. Nix on the hamburgers I guess! Steak it is!