Monday, June 05, 2006

Peggy Smith

I have always known I was adopted. My parents never hide that fact from me and I greatly appreciate that. As long as I can remember I thought about my birthmom. I thought about what she looked like, what kind of person she was, etc. After my ex and I got married I really started thinking more and more about my birth mom. I decided I would try to find some information about her. I went to the county where I was born and requested any paperwork on my adoption. I was informed that anyone over the age of 21 can request their adooption paperwork in the state of Kansas. (where I was born) I remember going to the courthouse to request the paperwork. I was so nervous. I filled out the paperwork and the lady said that it would be mailed to me in 7-10 days. About a week later I received a packet in the mail from the courhouse. In the packet was 10 pages of documents regarding my adoption.

I found the paperwork fasinating. I learned my birthmothers name. Her name is Peggy Smith. At first I really excited, but then I realized that that is a very, very common name. I learned so much information about what she looked like, her family and why I was put up for adoption. My birthmother at the time of my birth had light brown hair and blue eyes. Huh, sounds like me. I learned that my birthmother had a twin sister. I thought that was the neatest thing. Knowing that twins usually skip a generation, if I ever decide to have children the possibilty of me having tiwns is great. I always learned that no one in my family was about 5'5 including my birth father. So, being 5'4, I am actually very tall for the family.

The paperwork revealed that my birthmom/dad had a relationship after he got out of the service and she got pregnant. They decided not to marry and my birthmom decided to give me a better chance at life she would put me up for adoption. At the time of my birth my birthmom was 24 and my birthfather was 25. That is considered old for putting a baby up for adoption.

Today is my birthmom's birthday. I have searched for her, but have been unsuccessful. I did find someone in Minnesotoa that might have been her, but whoever it was that I talked to said she was not the Peggy Smith I was looking for. I have my doubts and maybe she just wasn't ready to meet me.

I am thankful for my birthmom for giving me life. In January of 1973 (5 months before I was born) abortion became legal. My birthmother could have easily "done away" with me. I am grateful that she gave me a chance at life. Happy Birthday Peggy Smith.

7 comments:

Lynilu said...

What a dear post.Caroline, most states have registries for adopted children and birth parents to help them reunite when both want to do so. You might check it out. If you register and she doesn't, well, perhaps it isn't meant to be. Who knows, maybe she (or your father) is already there waiting to hear from you! If not, c'est la vie!

Lynilu said...

Oh, and I'm very glad, too, that they chose as they did. I can't imagine my life without you in it.

Francesca said...

That is so sweet. Nice post. I hope you find her.

...and I'm glad she had you, too!

hugs!

Isabel said...

I hope you find her one day.

Monogram Queen said...

That is a very poignant and sweet post Caroline. I hope you find whatever it is you are seeking (whether it be just knowing who/where they are, meeting them, establishing a relationship etc.) Peace & Blessings

Caroline said...

lynilu--i have registered somewhere, but don't remember where now. that was a long time ago so i don't know if it's still out there.

francesca--thank you for your kind words

isabel--i am contend on either way

patticake--we'll see what happens with time.

Casey said...

I'll echo what others have said - this is a very sweet post and I, too, am greatful that you are here.