Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Therapy

The last three days have been rough. Running into my Mother really threw me for a loop. I wasn't sure how to handle all the emotions that came flooding back. By yesterday afternoon I could feel the whole depression thing coming back. I had no engery, even though I slept 9 hours the night before and just didn't feel like doing anything. I was eating anything in sight. Finally around 1pm I realized I needed to tell Laura what was going on. I was tired of hiding how sad I really was. After school she called and I told her I wasn't doing that well. We talked and she said it would probably be good if I went and talked with someone. I have suffered with depression since I was a teenager. Therapy is nothing new to me. I was very hestitant becasue I felt I should be able to handle this on my own. After much convincing from Laura I called my insurance company last night to see if I could get a referral for treatment. I waited until 8:30pm when Laura finally said, "you need to call before we go to bed". So, I called and got several referrals. Actually the lady I talked to on the phone was so nice. Made me feel better about calling to get a referral for therapy.

After getting the referrals I was bummed because the therapist that I have gone to since I was 16 was not on the list. Laura and I decided that we will just pay out of pocket. So, this morning I called my therapist and she is able to get me in next Tuesday. I am so relieved. I love it cause she has evening hours, so I will not have to miss any work. I am so glad she is able to get me in because I would hate going to someone new and have to tell my story all over again. And it's a long story. Way too long.

For the first time I am not ashamed to say I am in therapy. Growing up and even in my 20's it seemed to have such a stigma in my family. Now I have my OWN family and there no longer is any shame.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you caught it and acted so quickly. Hang in there.

Zoe said...

I'm so glad for you that you are able to identify your depression and take control. I hope your therapist can help you work through this quickly.

Isabel said...

Sometimes you just can't work through all those emotions on your own. Hang in there

Monogram Queen said...

Honey I understand where you are coming from, thinking you should be able t handle things on your own. That is common-common-common. Good thing you had Laura to prod you. I used to be in therapy and am currently on Paxil and I know it helps me even though sometimes I feel like a loser because I have to take my "crazy" pill every day. I hope the therapist helps you and you are feeling better about yourself soon. HUGS

Kathryn said...

I'm glad that you are getting some help; I'm so sorry about the running in to your mother and for the deep pain in your heart. Take care sweetie!

Caroline said...

lyn--i am also glad that i reconized the symptons early

zoe--my therapist is awesome. she knows exactly when to push me and when to step back

isabel--i agree with you. thanks for all your support

patticake--i am actually looking forward to going to therapy. i always feel better afterwards

rsg--thank you for your kind words

Casey said...

Kudos to you for acting so quickly. I commend Laura for pushing you to call.

I really hope you start feeling better soon. Hugs.

One Messed Up Chick said...

Im glad your going to talk with someone!! Hang in there! And take care of yourself!!

Caroline said...

casey--believe it or not..knowing i have the appointment on tuesday i already feel a little better

onecrazylady--i am happy about this weekend because it will a good time just enjoying the peace and quiet as well as Laura

maneesha said...

hey. i have been reading your blog for a month now. i really admire you for getting through what you have. you are a very strong person. you are right; there is nothing shameful about being in therapy. i hope it helps you...