Friday, May 05, 2006

Middle Of The Night Call

One of the duties that is included in my job is taking crisis calls. On the weekends and after hours if our clients are in a crisis then they can call our answering service and one of the counselors will call them back. There are 5 people at my office on this list. I happen to be #2 in line. So, if they are unable to get a hold of person #1 (who happens to be my bos), then they call me. My boss is usually really good about taking most of the calls. But every once in a while I will get a call. Last night at 3am was one of those calls.

Now, at 3am, I am not with it at all. When the phone rang it startled both of us. Our phone in the bedroom is at the other end. So, answering it meant I had to get out of bed and find my way to the phone without stepping on any cats or the dog. When I got to the phone I tried to read the caller ID, but for some reason it was not working. I answered the phone. I realize it's the answering service. They say they have a call from someone that needs to talk with a counselor right away. As usual, I have to find a pen and something to write with. Apparently I was complelty out of it because as I was writing down the information I told the answering service that I was printing what she was telling me. That is what Laura told me. I don't remember that.

After writing down the information I go downstairs so I will not disturb Laura anymore then I already have. As I am walking out of the bedroom she says, "why do they always wait until the middle of the night to call. they knew they were addicts at 7pm". I laugh at her as I walk downstairs. Once downstairs I light up a cigarette, turn on the tv to MTV and call the person back. Here is my conversation with this individual at 3am.

(Conversation has been removed)

I go back up to bed and turn off the ringer in the bedroom. It is amazing what some people say in the middle of the night. I have had people ask me if I believe in Jesus. It is just crazy. Calls in the middle of the night from people high on every imaginable substance is just one of the many benefits of being a substance abuse counselor.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am troubled by this post. No doubt you are venting and frustrated, but I'd be a lot less likely to ask a professional for assistance if I knew there was a chance I'd be made to sound stupid-- maybe not face-to-face, but behind my back or in a blog post. Yep-- I know you don't reveal any real identifying facts, but rather than vent in a blog, get some supervision from a seasoned clinician on how to more appropriately and professionally deal with your frustration and stress.

Casey said...

I'm not troubled by the post. And as for being afraid of sounding stupid...well..I'm met very few drunk or high people who *didn't* sound stupid.

Vent away Caroline. Vent away.

Caroline said...

anonymous--sorry you are troubled by the post. when you call a professional in the middle of the night then don't hang up on me. BTW, I did go to my supervisor and told him about the case and he just rolled his eyes at the client.

casey--thanks for your support. I will continue to vent away because this is my blog and I can do whatever the hell I want.

Isabel said...

I agree with Casey with not being troubled by the post. Plenty of times I received calls from customer who were just.... stupid. Didn't understand anything. Of course I'm going to turn around and vent to my co worker. And my co worker does the same thing. And I'm sure when I call agencies and I'm not understanding anything, I'm being made fun of.

No big deal.

Caroline said...

laura--you DO hate those middle of the night calls don't you? :) Anonymous sounds like they have made their fair share of stupid calls don't they?

isabel--i agree with you totally. it's not that big of a deal. and i don't really think i was making fun of the person that called. i was more making fun of the woman that was in the background.

Anonymous said...

I have certainly been on the receiving end of the type of phone call received by Caroline more times than I care to remember as Caroline and I are in the same profession, although I've been at it much longer. I have read multiple posts by Caroline in recent weeks where she has questioned whether or not she is in the right profession, mentioned her feelings about a patient and most recently has vented her frustrations...My bad that my previous comment was deemed an attack-- certainly not intended that way-- just want Caroline to take care of herself so she can fully utilize her gifts to assist her patients.

Minnesota Nice said...

I just hope those people don't have children in that home, what a mess. And you can only help the ones who sincerely want help.

Caroline said...

anonymous--you might re-read that post. I never said I thought i was in the wrong profession. i was just feeling my "zest" was gone..hence the title. gee, if a girl can't vent on her own blog where can she vent?

sandra--i agree..i feel this person was only wanting help because he was probably going to be kicked out of where he was staying. but who knows..you might ask anonymous since they seem to know so much more.

Casey said...

anonymous,
I personally take issue with the whole "hiding behind the anonymous" name. If you want to say something, then at least have the personal ethics and morals to stand behind it by putting your name to your comments.

I don't know about others but personally, I have zero respect for comments made by people who refuse to ID themselves.

(And yeah - no one really knows if people are who they say they are on-line but that is SO not my point. Make up an ID...I don't care but hiding behind "anonymous" is just ridiculous, IMO)

Caroline said...

casey--i agree with you. if you can't say it using your own name, then maybe you shouldn't say it. using the name anonymous is just another way of saying you are a coward. thanks for your support casey...:)

Anonymous said...

so, why did you remove the conversation?

Caroline said...

anonymous--i removed the conversation because it's my fucking blog and I don't know who the fuck you are. you are such a fucking coward. stop using anonymous and tell us who you really are.