Monday, May 29, 2006

33


Today is my 33rd birthday. Here are my list of 33 reasons why I am so happy I was blessed with another birthday.

1. Life. 5 months before I was born abortion was legalized. My birthmother could have easily had an abortion. Instead, she gave me the gift of life.

2. My health. I am lucky to be able to see clearly (thanks to a little help from contacts), smell the fresh air and hear wildlife. I am thankful everyday for that.

3. My home. Not only am I blessed to have a roof over my head, but it was my Grandmothers house. I remember as a child coming here to visit. Infact, I have pictures of me when I was 3-4 years old playing in this backyard.

4. Vacations. Laura and I have been so blessed to be able to start traveling more. As a child I traveled all over the place. There's no better feeling then leaving work on Friday knowing you are headed on vacation.

5. Mexican Food. This is my all time favorite food. I could eat Mexican food for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

6. Music. I love music and it's always been a huge part of my life. My life is chronicled through music.

7. Lakes. Last year was the first time I had been swimming in a lake in years. I forgot how much I love swimming in lakes. I prefer it to ocean water. The smell of the lake water always takes me back to my childhood.

8. My "kids". I sit here counting the hours til tomorrow when I can go pick up Sophie dog from the kennel. Our house seems empty without her running around here. And the cats are always good for entertainment and cuddling.

9. Clean sheets. There is nothing better in the world then putting on clean sheets on the bed and going to sleep. The smell and the crispness of them our one of the better things in life.

10. Smores. Having just come back from camping I forgot how much I love smores. Nothing is better when you are out camping.

11.Reality TV. 15 years ago reality tv was born. And I can't imagine a week going by not watching some sort of reality show.

12. A warm bath. I never thought I was a bath person until I met Laura. Now, I take at least 5 baths a week. Even if I have showered in the evening, I love coming home and taking a nice bubbly bath.

13. Hot Chocolate. Sitting in the house on a cold winter day is perfect when you have a cup of hot chocolate in your hand.

14. Air-Conditioning. As much I would love to live in the Little House on the Prairie days, I enjoy my a/c too much to wish too hard.

15. Pictures. I have always loved pictures. I love taking pictures and I love looking at pictures.

16. Campfires. This past weekend I feel in love all over again with campfires. Sitting by them at night just talking is one of the most relaxing intimate things.

17. DVR. Kind of like Tivo, but through the cable company. I love being able to pause live tv and record a show without a vcr tape.

18. Coca-Cola. Whether it's first thing in the morning or after mowing the lawn, there is nothing better then an ice cold coca-cola.

19. My blue shorts. I have a pair of blue shorts that have become very comforting to me. I wear them in the evenings and everytime I put them on it's like an old friend.

20. Shoes after they are "broken in". Kind of like the shorts things. I will wear my shoes until I can no longer wear them anymore. Once a shoe is broken in, it's the best feeling in the world.

21. Alcohol. A cold Corona every once in a while is heavenily.

22. My nephews. There is nothing I love more then spoiling them. And the best part is being able to hand them back to their parents if they start acting up or need to be changed.

23. Grandparents. Grandparents were given to all of us in an escape of our parents. They are there to spoil you and love you with no conditions attached.

24. Snow. I love snow and I love snow days even more. There's nothing better then waking up to 6 inches on the ground.

25. Green grass. I love keeping my grass in our yard nice and green all summer even if it means we have a $300 water bill.

26. Digital Cameras. They have simply made it easier to get a picture of the world.

27. Birthday cake. Even though I have not had that many b-day cakes, there is a distinct difference in the taste when it's a cake celebrating the day you were born.

28. Celebrity Magazines. I can't imagine a week going by without buying a celeb magazine. I love sitting and reading what my favorite celebs are up to.

29. Taco Via. My favorite fast food Mexican restaurant in KC.

30. Laura. I put her in the 30th reason because I met her when I was 30 and my life hasn't been the same since. She is everything to me and so much more.

31. Internet. I love being able to get on the internet and find out anything about everything.

32. Camping. Just like the campfires, I feel in love all over again with camping.

33. Memory. I love all the memories in my mind. Those memories get me through tough times and make me laugh often.

10 comments:

Ragged Around the Edges said...

Happy Birthday!

(Gotta say that I love the hat!)

Lynilu said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Thanks for sharing your cake.

Do you realize that if I'd done the "XX reasons why I'm happy on my birthday" last month, I'd have a list of 62!! Yikes. I'm happy, but I don't know if I'm THAT happy!! ;-)

Look . . . I get to use my new blogger name!

Lynilu said...

BTW, who is that cute kid?

giggle!

Caroline said...

ragged--thanks for the idea on counting the reasons why I am happy. it was a great idea. thanks for the compliment on the hat..i also love this picture because of the hat.

lynilu--you're welcome on the cake..remember we still have a bunch over here in case you get a craving for cake. that cute little kid would be yours truly. :):) BTW, welcome to the world of blogs.

Monogram Queen said...

and I love this list! It's nice to have others remind you of things to be thankful for from time to time. Hope you had a good holiday week-end & birthday sweetie!

Isabel said...

Happy Birthday. Very cute picture.

Caroline said...

patticake--that list was hard to come up with. probably the last year that I will be doing that

isabel--thanks for the b-day wishes

Mrs. Dr. S. said...

Awesome list!

Minnesota Nice said...

I wish I had that hat!!!

Caroline said...

courtney--thanks

sandra--i always liked my hat in this picture. i didn't realize it would become so popular here in blogger land.