Monday, April 03, 2006

Losing An Hour Of Sleep

I knew it was coming. I knew I was going to loose an hour of my life early Sunday morning. I have actually known about it for the past several months. I found out when we turn the clocks forward because I wanted to know it was before/after/during our trip to Florida. So, it's not like I wasn't prepared.

Yesterday wasn't so bad. I did keep thinking, "it doesnt' seem that late". Plus, I had not changed the clock in my car so when I was running around I would think it was 1pm when it was actually 2pm. When I would get home I would think, "wow I was out for a while". Last night at 11pm I was thinking, "I am not tired at all." But I decided that it was time for me to head up to bed.

I laid there and I laid there. Nothing was happening. I could hear Laura sleeping and I could hear the dog snoring. There is nothing worse then knowing you need to be getting to sleep and not being able to sleep. I eventually fell asleep because the next thing I knew it was 6am and Laura was awake. In my mind I knew she was running late because she is usually heading out the door by 6am.

I have struggled all day with feelings of wanting to take a nap. I went home for lunch and laid down for 15 minutes. That only made me want to sleep more. It didn't help that two cats and the dog were all on the bed with me. They all looked like, "geez, it feels like we lost an hour of sleep". I would have given my right arm to be able to stay home and sleep.

When I was a child and we would loose the hour in the spring I had a very simple way of getting through those first few days when I was so tired. I would just tell myself.."if we hadn't turned the clocks forward I would be getting out of school an hour later." Somehow that made it a little easier.

3 comments:

Casey said...

I really don't enjoy the whole springing ahead thing. I've never understood why in this day and age we still find it important to change times twice a year. As a rule, we usually change our clocks Friday night on the weekend it takes place. That way, we have a couple days to adjust before real life hits again.

We didn't do that this time since we were on vacation but it actually went well for us. Maybe that's the new way I can handle it - always be on vacation when it occurs. I never pay that much attention to the clock if we're away from home. :)

Minnesota Nice said...

I wish we could just "Fall back" every 6 months instead...then I'd be on time for work at least a little more often.

Isabel said...

Yeah, I was so tired yesterday and I'm still tired. I went to bed at 10 and just laid there. Joey was of course passed out. sigh.. lucky.