Monday, February 27, 2006

What Matters Most

Money. What does it mean to you? I know what money means to me..and it isn't that much. It seems that today people are so consumed with how much money they make and how many things they can buy with that money. It's important to remember that money is just paper. Money will never make you happy. Many people say "if I could just have more money then all my problems would be gone and I would be happy." It doesn't work that way. When Laura and I first got together we had literally no money. I was at a crappy job and she hadn't started teaching for the year yet (after being off for one year due to a broken ankle). Thinking back on those first few months and how much money we didn't have it, it didn't make a difference. We had some of the best times when we had no money. We found creative ways to have fun. We learned that there are a lot of things do around our city where you need no money. A few months after we got together we were making probably 4x more money. One thing I noticed: with more money comes more problems.

There are many people that use money as their main focus. I feel sorry for those people. For anyone to put down me and Laura simply because we don't make as much money as they do are hollow inside. Money isn't what makes our relationship so great. I would never in a million years say, "I make this much more money then you would in 2-3 years". How selfish is that? No, we may not make as much money as some people, but everyday we go to work, we personally change people's lives. How many people can say that?

Money can either be the greatest thing, or it can be your biggest downfall. You make the choice as to how you deal with it. For example: My Father has chosen money over a relationship with me. Everyday that he allows money to interfer with his relationship with his daughter, he is missing out.

I feel sorry for those people that have money as their main focus. Money can not love you back. The sooner some people realize this, the better they will be.

4 comments:

One Messed Up Chick said...

Working and living paycheck to paycheck and being the only one able to work in the relationship, I agree with you whole heartly! :)

Zoe said...

Money can't buy happiness, but I find I'm sure a lot happier when I have it.
You are so right, but it sure would be nice to have enough money to not have to worry about it. I think we are almost there, finally.

Isabel said...

Money. I understand why they say it's the root of all evil.

Caroline said...

onecrazylady--i admire you for being so positive.

zoe---it is nice when there is extra money to do the fun things we like to do. but it's also nice having a nice cushion to fall back onto..

isabel--i agree..money is the root of all evil