Thursday, January 12, 2006

Kingdom Halls



Here is a "typical" picture of a Kingdom Hall. This is not the one I was raised in. I have often thought of driving by and taking a picture, but I am sure they have my picture up saying, "if you see this person call 911". I am sure my Mother has told them how I have turned against the church in more ways then one. Well, they know I have turned against their beliefs and teachings, they just don't realize I am shouting to the entire world how evil and wrong they are. But like I said, I am sure my Mother has told everyone how I have turned into an "apostate". Growing up that was one term you never wanted to be called. They taught us that if you were an "apostate" (talking in a negative way about God or his organization) that was the worst you could be in God's eyes. But they taught us having views that disagreed, not with the Bible, but with the Watchtower, was very wrong.

So, I decided to talk a little about what it's like going to the Kingdom Hall to worship. This past year or so I have learned that we were not worshiping God, but the Watchtower. JW's seem to hold the Watchtower in greater regard then the Bible. They say they don't, but they do. They often say the Watchtower is written from the Bible, but it's not.

A typical Kingdom Hall is very plain. There are NO windows and very little decorations. I often asked as a child why there were no windows. I was told it was because we didn't want any distractions. When I was 10 we went on vacation to Denver and went to a meeting there. (by the way all services are called "meetings".) This particular Kingdom Hall had 2 windows on each side of the building. I used to think that was the coolest thing. I have been to many Kingdom Halls since then and that was the only one that had windows. You will not see any crosses in Kingdom Halls since they don't believe Jesus died on the cross. Infact, they say people that wear crosses or have crosses around are worshiping idols.

The stage is also very plain. Just a potium and maybe a table and chairs. Very boring. You are expected to attend meetings 3x a week, plus go out and do some door-to-door work. I knew many people that were literally living in poverty because they weren't allowed to work that much because there were so many obligations to the Watchtower. I think that is wrong to tell someone that instead of trying to support their family they should be there. I saw too many families living in horrible conditions because they felt they should.

My first memory of the Kingdom Hall was when I was 4 or 5. I was laying with my head on my Dad's lap during one of the talks. My Dad attended there briefly when I was young. He got smart and got out before it was too late. Woman are not allowed to wear pants or slacks to any meetings. Most woman even wear skirts when they come to clean the Hall. They feel it's being disrespectful if a woman wears pants inside the Kingdom Hall. Men are required to wear ties during all services.

It's a messed up religion with lots of control over it's members. I once had a friend come to a meeting with me and she told me this about the people inside the Kingdom Hall, "they are all well dressed robots". That sums it up very well. No one thinks for themselves. JW's are never taught to do anything on their own. They are always having to ask permission to do something or to think a certain way.

Thank you GOD for giving me the opportunity to escape and live the life I was meant to live.

6 comments:

Casey said...

Wow. Interesting. I have to admit that learning of other religions fascinates me much like a train wreck. I just *have* to know. Thanks for sharing information with us!

Zoe said...

And I thought growing up uber-catholic was bad.

Kathryn said...

Amen sister. (The part about you living your life the way that you were meant to live it!)

pack of 2 said...

here-here!
Good for you for escaping!


Shelly

Anonymous said...

If you were really a Witness for 30 years, you would know that several of your comments are not accurate. An apostate is not just "someone who talks negatively about God or his organization." It is someone who abandons the True Faith, and actively tries to persuade others to do the same. This is by Biblical definition. The Watchtower is not a replacement for the Bible. Anyone who looks at one can plainly see it IS written from the Bible. You can't turn a page without being bombarded with scriptures. There are typically no windows in a Kingdom Hall because it saves on construction costs. However, there are Halls with windows, like the one you described. Big deal. No one is "required" to wear or not wear anything at the Kingdom Hall. Although it is customary, in the U.S., for men to wear suits with ties and women to wear dresses/skirts, no one is barred from the Hall for their dress. Jesus did not die on a cross. The New Catholic Encyclopedia will even tell you that. The comment about not being "allowed to work that much" is preposterous. Although a materially simple lifestyle is encouraged, to allow more freedom from stress, and freedom to contribute time to preaching work, no one polices anybody's schedule or choice of work. No one has to "ask permission" to do anything. We all have free will, and must then take the consequences for our actions. Just because we choose not to recognize God's Law doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For instance, I can decide I don't "believe" in or "adhere to" the law of gravity. Why shouldn't I be able to float around, dammit? So if I jump off a cliff, will I float around? Nope. I decide I don't believe in germs, so I decide to stop washing my hands, dip my food in dirt before I eat it, etc. Will I get sick? Yep. If I decide to live a lifestyle in violation of Biblical laws and principles, will I reap consequences and judgement? OF COURSE!

Caroline said...

Looks as if my Mother has finally decided to post a comment on here. It's interesting reading her comments that are straight from talks at meetings (the gravity thing..)or from the Watchtower. Some things never change.