Thursday, December 22, 2005

Dollar General Experience

This afternoon I realized I needed to go to the Dollar Store. I was just needing to go for cat liter, but still it's always an experience when I go to the Dollar Store. There is ONE Dollar General by my work that I usually go to. Now, I will at all cost avoid this Dollar General. I have never had good service here and they never have what I need. Or they will half of what I need. With 5 cats in the house, we are always changing the liter. We always try to change it on Thursdays because our trash is picked up on Fridays and I hate having the old liter sit around the garage. It's just an inviation for unwanted guests. So, I go to the Dollar General hoping they have at least 5 bags of cat liter. Now, before Laura I always bought my liter at Petsmart or Walmart. Well, Dollar General has this wonderful thing where they have 1lb bags for $1. And one of those bags is perfect for one liter box. The other thing that I hate about this Dollar General is the parking lot. It's a huge parking lot, but there are 3 restaurants in the same shopping area and there is NEVER any parking. I was hoping today since I was going after the lunch hour there would be parking. I was wrong. I had to walk my usual 1/2 to get from my car to the front door of Dollar General. I walk into Dollar General and make my way back to the pet supplies. On the shelf there is only 3 bags. Fuck. I debate whether to just by the three and pick another two at another place. After a few seconds of thinking, I decide I will buy the three and then go to the Family Dollar about 10 minutes down the road. In my mind I am telling myself, "I should have just gone to Family Dollar". For some unknown reason I have some sort of loyality to Dollar General. I also pick up toilet paper while I am Dollar General. As I head up to the cash register there are 5 people in front of me. Fuck, again. Finally after what seemed a lifetime, it's my turn to check out. I ask the guy at the register, "do you have anymore cat liter in the back?" "NO is his response." I felt like saying, "you little fucker, you didn't even check." But I smile and tell myself again, "this is the last time I am coming here to this Dollar General."

So, I head on to the Family Dollar store. They, or course, have more then enough liter. As I am in the aisle I notice some little doggie gifts that could go in Sophie's stocking. I pick up a few items and head to the register. Again, there are like 4 people ahead of me. Fuck, fuck, fuck. At this point I look at the time and I am suppose to be back at work already. (I only signed out for 30 minutes today, instead of my usual one hour) I notice the people in front of me have quite a bit in their cart. I hear their total.."$99.64". I think to myself, how could someone spend $99 at the dollar store. Oh well...

That was my experience today with the Dollar Stores. Again, I promise myself that I will not go to this particular Dollar General again. The one right by our house is wonderful. The employees are always so helpful and they always have what we need...in stock.

4 comments:

pack of 2 said...

LMFAO @ kylz...you guys don't have dollar stores??? Shit girl...you do need to come to the US & check things out!!!

I rarely go to those stores but when I do...I am always amazed at what you can get for a buck!!!

Shelly

Caroline said...

First of all..I need to make a correction. I get a 10lb bag of liter for $1. Not a 1lb bag for $1. As I was changing the liter last night I realized the typo I had made.

kylz--you really need to go to a Dollar Store. They have just about everything. But don't let the name trick you..not everything is a dollar..but close

packof2--I love how you can name brand stuff for a lot cheaper then other stores. Plus if you have coupons..

elf--I don't remember that motto from camp. But I do remember it being slim pickings at the camp store..all the time. Gald you made it back safely.

Francesca said...

They have just started opening dollar stores here. I think there are 3 or 4 right now. I've not been, but the latest one has just opened near my house. Maybe I will take a peek.

Caroline said...

angel girl--you can find just about anything in a dollar store. It's wonderful

francesca--you really should go into the dollar store. I never had been in one before Laura. It's wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.