Thursday, November 10, 2005

Oprah

Last night on Oprah was Terry McMillan and her gay ex-husband. About 10 minutes into the show I realized I dispise Terry McMillan. I have never in my life seen someone so vain and into herself. She kept throwing her head back and looking to Oprah. And she was pissed at her ex-husband. This is the ex-husband that she met in Jamica and they had a 5 day affair and then he ended up moving to the US and they married. This was the story that inspired her book, "How Stella Got Her Grove Back". When they met he was just 21. She was in her forties. After 6 years of marriage he started questioning his sexuality. He finally told her last year that he is gay.

Terry (and Oprah) couldn't understand how he never knew he was gay until two years ago. Because you are born gay, so you should know somehow. The one thing that was said that pissed me off was when Terry asked her Ex-hubby if he had ever slept with a guy before coming out to her. He said no. She said, "then how do you know you are gay? That would be like me saying I am alcoholic but never had an alcoholic drink." I whole heartly disagree. When a teenager who has not had sex yet says I am attracted to the opposite sex, do we question that because they have not done anything. NO WE DO NOT. But when someone says they are gay why does society question that feeling even if we have not "done anything".

Take me for example. I was married and had never even thought of doing anything with women. But I found myself attracted to women. It was 6 months after I started having feelings for women before I acted on that. (and by the way, my husband and I had seperated at that point, so there was no cheating)

I love Oprah, but I was a little upset with her. It was so fucking obvious that she was siding with Terry. I felt sorry for Terry's ex-husband. No matter who you are, you struggle with your feelings of homosexuality because of society. I can understand why he didn't come out earlier then he did. And I think Terry does owe him some money. He was just a baby when she moved him here. He at least deserves something for putting up with your vain self for as long as he did.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

I didn't see the program because the previews were enough to turn me off.
I think that it is very difficult for someone to understand how you just "decide" to become gay. They don't understand sexuality or it's continuim. You and I know because we lived it; Oprah obviously has not. It's unfortunate that that man was put into a light to look like an idiot.

Nap Queen said...

I really don't like Terry McMillian from what I have heard about her (severly homophobic; terrible name caller). What I don't understand is why they went on the show together in the first place?