Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Kindness

This post was inspired by something that was said on Packof2's blog. She was asking what our dream job was. I think I have figured out what my dream job would be. This dream job was inspired by a show that I saw for the first time on A&E. It's called Random1. These two guys drive around and try to grant people wishes. Last night they helped a homeless guy get a new leg since his old one was stiff and would not bend anymore. And these guys don't have any money themselves. They simply find the resources for these people. The other story was a lady that wanted to work in nonprofit. They got her an interview with a nonprofit company. It was pretty cool.

So..my dream job would be to drive all over the United States and try to make peoples dreams come true. It's amazing what one act of kindness can do for a person. It can change their entire life. I remember about 10 years ago Oprah did a show about random acts of kindness. That show has stuck with me ever since. I remember right after I saw that show I was on my way to work and there was a lady that had a flat tire. I noticed she had 2 small children and it looked as if she was pregnant again. I pulled over to see if there was anything I could do. She said she didn't have a spare tire and that she really didn't have the money to get a new one. I gave this woman a ride home and she called her husband and they had the car towed to a garage. I went to where the car was towed and paid for her new tire. I remember the people at the car place were like, "you want to do what?" This woman later called to thank me and I told her it was just a random act of kindness. She couldn't believe it. I think I spent $75 on the new tire. At that time, that was a lot to me, but for this woman and her family it was probably one weeks worth of groceries. I kept in touch with her for a while,but lost touch with her after she moved to Texas.

It was shortly after that that I decided to be a social worker. But sometimes I feel limited in what I can do for people. My first job after I got my bachelors I worked at Don Bosco which was a community center. I loved the work that I did there. It was so rewarding. I worked with the clients that were homeless. My second week a family walked in. A mother, father and two kids ages 1 and 2. They had moved here from NJ because they had heard about a job. When they got here there were no jobs. They were living in their car. This was the middle of June. I remember the temps being around 90. Within two weeks I had them in an apartment with furniture, the husband was working and the wife was taking GED classes. That is one of my most memorable clients. I kept in touch with them for a while,but they moved back to NJ and I have not spoken to them since.

But being able to drive around the country and grant wishes to people that need it so badly would be my dream job. When someone is down to one last wish or prayer and you are there to answer it, is one of the most amazing things.

1 comment:

pack of 2 said...

That wouldn't be my dream job because I would probably cry a lot & I don't like to do that.

Sounds good for you though!

Shelly