Wednesday, September 28, 2005

The Real World

Today is a completly boring day at work. It's cold and rainy. I guess all the addicts have not woke up from their parties last night. I had two assessments this morning, neither showed up. Both were court ordered, which means in about a week they will call all frantic that they have court and no assessment. Especially for the people that have not showed up for their originial appointment, I tell them "An emergency on your part does not make it an emergency on my part." They hate that. They hate having to be responsible for their actions. It's always somene else's fault, never their own.

So in my attempt to entertain myself at work I was reading MSNBC's website and came across a story on MTV's Real World. Apparently the next series is filming in Key West. Looks like we are going to have to go and see the house. I love The Real World. I started watching it in Season 2 when they were in Los Angeles. And then when they went to SF and Pedro was on it something came alive inside. I remember watching his commitement ceremony with his partner and something inside me changed. My entire life I was taught that being gay is sinful and wrong and they live an inmoral lifestyle. Watching this touching ceremony between two men changed my life. I didn't know it would take another 5 years for me to come to terms on how it changed my life. When I was in SF in late 1994 I went by the house they were in. They had finished taping and the word had just gotten out that Pedro had died. It was sad. Around the same time HBO had a special about gay rights. There was this one scene where this couple were walking with their young daughter. I remember crying, but now knowing why I was crying. Looking back I think I was crying because a small part of me was realizing that I can be gay and have children. I never knew it was an option. It's weird thinking it's been ten years since all of this. It seems just like yesterday.

Another connection I have to the Real World...Dan from the Miami Real World went to my middle school and high school. And we dated during the 7th grade. We "went together" for an entire year. Dan even came to my college when I was getting my bachelors and did a presentation for our class on gays/lesbians. I was going to a Catholic College, so the sparks flew. Even the custodian that night got involved with his views. It was amazing.

That's all for now..

No comments: