Monday, September 19, 2005

Pride

What a day. I am ready to go home. Too bad I still have two hours left. I got an email from ELF about his post. He apologized for it sounding mean. I don't think it was mean, I think it was ignorant. It really just didn't make sense to me, but that is just me and my opinion.

Back in the Civil Rights movements I am sure there were a lot of people that said black people were just wanting special rights. It has nothing to do with me wanting special rights. But it does include me being able to make medical decisions for Laura if she is unable to. When you get married in this country the spouse is automatically able to make life/death decisions. If I died today, Laura would be taxed to death on anything she would inherit from me. If we had the same rights as married couples, that would not happen. If we had a child and I died, she would have no legal rights to that child even though she did 1/2 the raising. It just doesn't make sense.

Laura and I have talked at great length about calling it "marriage". She does not want to say we are "married". We both agree that most marriages just don't work today. Having a civil union would give us the same rights in case of sickness or death.

This has always been a touchy subject with people. It's like the policy on religion and abortion. There are times when you just don't bring it up. But I agree that there is nothing wrong with talking. But I will not sit back and allow someone to compare me being gay to someone have a medical condition. Just won't do it.

Again, I AM GAY, AND I AM VERY PROUD OF BEING GAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: