Tuesday, September 06, 2005

The Pets Left Behind.....

As I was sitting here this morning studying for my Social Work license test I was thinking of all the Hurricane victims. I went to MSNBC's website and looked at the pictures. There was one that broke my heart. It was a picture of a man putting his two dogs in the back room of his house. He was being evacuated, but he was not allowed to bring his two dogs with him. He had left them with enough food for one month and he said to his dogs, "I am so sorry I did not evacuate. Because of this, it cost you your life." How can something like that not break your heart. On Saturday morning on the Today show they did an interview with a woman from noahs-wish.org that is helping rescue all the pets that were left behind. In a situation like that I don't think I could leave my pet behind. It would be a very hard decision to make and I don't know if I would want to have to make that decision.

It's still shocking to hear the reporters say, "New Orleans is destroyed completly." How can that be? They are saying they will have to rebuild the entire city. I just can't imagine. I visited New Orleans in 1988 and loved it then. I have always wanted to go back as an adult, but never made it. Laura and I were very close to going to New Orleans instead of the Keys. We decided that we both wanted to just lay on the beach this trip. So we chose the Keys. I kept saying I was glad we didn't chose New Orleans, but then it seemed selfish to me. I shouldn't be worrying about a little vacation with there are people who have only the clothes on their back now. Nothing else.

No comments: