Friday, September 30, 2005

Entitlement

This morning as I was on my way to work I did my usual stop at QT. (for those who don't know what QT is, it's like a 7-11) I went to the fountain area to get my morning Coke. There were these three people standing in front of it just talking. One of them was getting their drink, but the other two were just standing there. I stood there patiently and they finally moved. Then when I was trying to make my way to the register they were just standing in the middle of the aisle, talking. Again I patiently waited for them to move. (I must add that one of them was a veyr big person, so simply saying "excuse me" and moving past them would not have worked) So I finally get up to the register and they are in front of me. As I am waiting my turn I notice that they pick up something from the rack and put it on the counter. The cashier then rings them up and they put another thing on the counter, behind one of their drinks. Obviously they put it there so he would not notice. Then when they are done they pick up their items and walk out the door. The cashiers at QT are very busy and are usually ringing up people in two different lanes. I noticed in these people that they were purposely trying to get something for free. And that just really pisses me off!!!! And people wonder why the prices for everything is going up. It because there are ignorant people out there stealing right before our eyes. They don't even try to hide it anymore.

My point...We have a whole generation of people growing up with the Entitlement view on things. They feel they are entitled to things no matter what. People feel that society owes them something. Society doesn't owe anyone anything!!! People may say, "they just have high self-esteem." Self-esteem is something you gain over time and it's something you earn. When you have the entitlement view, you have not done anything. You feel that you should be treated a certain way or be given certain things just because. As a social worker I see the entitlement view everyday. People come in here feeling they are entitled to do what they want. It doesn't matter if it's against the law. "Who is it hurting???", they ask so many times. It's hurting YOU.

We came into this world with nothing. We shouldn't act like we came into this world with everything and yell and scream because we don't have anything. In life you have to earn certain things. Things are just don't handed down to you. And if they are you are missing a lot of life and some of the most important lessons.

No comments: