Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Taxes & Other Stuff

I decided tonight that I needed to get my taxes done. The last three years Laura always did our taxes and before that my Dad did my taxes. So, I was kind of nervous this year thinking of doing them on my own. Because I really only worked for six months and paid out over $7,000 in interest on the house I thought for sure that I would be getting some money back. So I ventured out to one of those tax places and I was shocked to hear what they wanted to charge me for my very simple tax return: $233!!!! Can you believe that? And the thing that sucked was I was only going to get back $87 from federal and I was going to owe Missouri $23. The lady was really nice and told me to just file online by myself. I couldn't agree with her more.

So I came home and got online and while I was doing the return I remembered that I had paid out some on my dental work at the beginning of the year. Thirty minutes later I was done and I will be getting more then $87 back from federal and $11 from Missouri. So, I am pretty happy with the results tonight. And if you add the $600 we are suppose to be getting from the government in the spring; my return is actually pretty nice.

Is it just me or are others tired of all the political stuff? Don't get me wrong, I am interested in what is going on, but this is only February. That means 9 more months of hearing the candidates talking trash about the other person, etc. And don't even get me started on some of the blogs out there.

I've had two techs quit in the last two days. That means I have two full-time positions open right now. So, if any of you are interested in having the best boss in the world, just let me know. :)

12 comments:

Audra said...

I did my taxes online after doing the same thing you did- only they wanted to charge me $300 something. NO WAY. And thank goodness because I'm only getting $348 back!!! I doubt I would have gotten anything back.

Sometimes I fantasize about running away from my life here- I'll work for you! haha.

Lynilu said...

$233?? That's absurd!! That is about what I paid last year and I still had several several additional forms that I didn't want to tackle. Sheesh!

I'm always weary of political junk by this time of the election year. Zzzzzzzzzzz.

I don't want to work for you! You're an old meanie, I know!! You used to pick on me all the time! :D Actually, the truth is ... I just don't want to work!!!

Julie said...

In the future, buy Turbo Tax and call me or email me if you have any questions while doing the return.

Bella said...

Here's a secret, most people could do their taxes themselves and save a lot of money. But I don't want too many people to know that, otherwise I'll work myself out of a job ;)

Caroline said...

audra--i think it's crazy what they charge to do our taxes...i am so thankful the lady told me about this site...it was so easy and only $14 to file.

lynilu--yes, i was shocked when she told me how much it was going to cost. what do you mean i used to pick on you...last time i checked i still pick on you....(wilson)

julie--thanks for the offer to help. i did think of you, but i know you probably hate it when people ask you questions this time of year...i will keep you in mind for next year

katie--your secret is safe with me...:)

Monogram Queen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monogram Queen said...

I do my taxes online, best thing I ever started doing! Turbotax rocks.
Yay on you getting $$$ back! Whoo hoo for you it does make one happy doesn't it? I looked back and we had to pay (in the thousands) the past couple of years. I'm glad we get some this year plus the bonus in May/June is just icing on the cake!

Minnesota Nice said...

I gladly pay $350 every year to have mine done, I don't trust myself. But I have rental property, depreciation, deductions, etc. I'm surprised you're not getting more back, you aren't taking more than 2 exemptions, are you?

Caroline said...

patti--i am very happy that i am getting something back...and i can't wait for that money in the spring...glad you are getting some money back as well

sandra--what hurt me this year is the fact that i was on unemployment for 5 months and they didn't take any taxes out...other wise i would be getting a lot more back...

amy h said...

That place was overcharging, I think. We have our taxes done because they are so complicated with Chris and me both doing freelance, and living and working in different states. For both of us together, our tax guy only charges like $250, and like I said, we have tons of complicated forms and stuff.

Caroline said...

amy--i am sure they were overcharging me...that is why i said no thanks. i was really surprised at how easy it was to file them online.

Bella said...

I forgot to add, I start at $ 200.00 for a simple return and it goes up from there. If you bring it to the block, or something similar, they charge by the form, and it can get rather spendy.