Tuesday, December 25, 2007

I Am Loved

It has been a Christmas that I will never forget.

Last night I had my best friend come over to the house and we exchanged gifts. She made me this spinach casserole that my Mom used to always make. I was so touched that she would make this for me, but she has no idea how much the gift really means to me. Even though my family never really celebrated Christmas, we always got together on this day. So, having my Mom's spinach casserole to enjoy today helps me remember all the good times I had with my family. We spent rest of the evening just laughing and enjoying each others company. It was so nice not spending Christmas Eve by myself; although I really think if I was by myself it would have been OK too.

When I woke up this morning I was feeling sorry for myself. Here it was Christmas morning and I had no tree, no one here with me and no presents to open. I know Christmas it not about the gifts we receive, but they are nice when you have them. I tried to pull myself out of my funk while I was getting ready to join L and her family for brunch. It was about a 30 minute drive and I cried most of the way. When I got close to the house I told myself that it was all OK and I worked hard at changing my attitude.

As I pulled up to L's parents house she was standing in the drive-way waving to me. As we walked in the house her entire family came to the door to welcome me. I got more hugs then I have received in the last month combined. The best hug? Yea, that would be L's one year old nephew. What a cutie he is. I could have easily taken him home with me. I never walked into a home where I didn't know most of the people and feel so welcomed and loved. As I mentioned before, L's Dad was my history teacher in high school. I think at first he wasn't too sure what to say to me, but once he had his second Mimosa (orange juice & Vodka) he was more relaxed. Brunch was delicious and I loved how they included me in all the conversations. Usually it's hard to make conversation with people I don't know, but it seemed very easy today.

After brunch we moved to the living room for them to open presents. I debated about leaving, but they insisted that I stay. As they handed out the presents I was surprised to see a present in front of me. Yes, they even included me in the gift giving. I feel bad because I was not expecting this and I did not bring anything.

The kindness I felt today was exactly what I needed. Christmas is not about the material things we receive, but it's about the people we spend that day with.

When I got home I received a call from my best friend who just wanted to wish me a Merry Christmas and to remind me that I am so loved. That phone call was the perfect way to end this day.

Now Sophie and I are hosting Rusty for a couple days. I picked him up on the way home and when I brought him in the house, I think Sophie thought she had got a puppy for Christmas. It really was cute.

I hope each of you had a wonderful day and in case you haven't been told today:

You are loved.

5 comments:

Luna said...

Merry Christmas Caroline! I am SO glad that it turned out to be a good one! Just 6 more days and you will have a fresh year in front of you!

Sending you much love!

yankeegirl said...

I'm glad you had a great day Caroline!((hugs))

Julie said...

Merry Christmas, Caroline!!!!

Monogram Queen said...

Merry Christmas Caroline, I'm glad you had a good day!

Minnesota Nice said...

I would like the recipe for spinach casserole, that sounds good!

Here's another hug!!! {{{{HUG}}}}