Friday, September 21, 2007

Phone Call from my Father

This afternoon I got a call from my Dad. He left a message on my cellphone saying:

"Your Mom wanted me to call you and see when we could arrange to come get the furniture. Give me a call so we can talk about it. You have my cellphone number and I'll talk to you later."

About a month ago my Dad called saying that my Mom was wanting some of my furniture. When my ex-husband and I got married, my parents gave us two pieces of antique furniture. My Mom is now wanting that furniture. I actually find this whole situation kind of humorous. I love how my family thinks they can just pop into my life whenever they want and act like nothing has happened. Well, I don't think my Mom is pretending because she can't even call me herself. She always has to go through other people to communicate to me. Unfortunately, that is not how I like to communicate.

I did not call my Dad back and I don't think I will. I have tried for 3+ years to work on my relationship with my parents and all I have received in return is nasty emails.

Here is the email I wrote my Mom in response to her request for my furniture:

I received an interesting call from Dad today concerning the furniture you said you wanted.

First of all, I never said it was OK for you to have any of my furniture. Both of the pieces of furniture you have requested to have were wedding gifts to James and me. Second, I do not want you to have the furniture.

A month ago when Dad called saying you wanted some of the furniture I actually found his call kind of humorous. I am not sure why you think you can suddenly contact me (or go through someone else) and say you want some of my furniture. I have tried numerous times over the past 3+ years to repair my relationship with you. The only response I have gotten from you is nasty emails. Even when I run into you at Walmart and say Hi and that I love you, you laugh at me and walk away. And now you think that it's OK for you to ask for some of my furniture. You might think again....

I find it interesting that you would be willing to come into my house to get the furniture, but it's not OK for you to come into my house as my Mother. Three years ago you made it perfectly clear that I was no longer welcome in your house. Why do you think you would be welcome in my house after all the mean and hateful things you have said to me and probably most other people?

Believe it or not, I am very happy. I know you have this picture in your mind that I am living this miserable existence, but you are completely wrong about that. I have accepted the fact that my family wants nothing to do with me (unless of course they want some of my furniture) and even though I would rather have a relationship with you, I am OK with the fact that you don't.

I am thankful to have so many loving friends that love me, accept me with no conditions and are supportive of all I do. My friends have become my family.

If you knew all that I have accomplished in the last 3+ years, you would be proud of me. I am just sorry (and very sad) that you have chosen the path you did.

Do you realize the last words you actually spoke to me were "I hate you"? One day you will regret all you have said to me and I know you will regret that fact wanted nothing to do with me.

I am a wonderful, loving and caring person and it's sad that you don't want to see me as this person. You are missing out on a lot.

Caroline

P.S. You can pass this email on to Dad if you want to or anyone else in the family.


It's amazing how I can get so much healing from just one email.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you feel strong enough to write that email my dear. Good for you taking care of yourself!

Unknown said...

Good for you!

Bella said...

I'm glad you were able to send this to them.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Monogram Queen said...

Well done Caroline - well done!

Anonymous said...

This is so well written. I hope your mother really reads it and thinks about it. Your words are strong and clear. I love the fact that you are able to state your case with such honesty and openness. You go, Caroline!

Love,
MG

yankeegirl said...

BRAVO! APPLAUSE!!!
That was great!
They have some nerve.

A social worker in the making. said...

You rock girl!!!!!!!!!!! Can i borrow some of your courage to talk to my mom and let her know I have also had enough of her trying to walk all over me

Lynilu said...

Wow! That is the most sensible, sane and well-spoken letter I've read in a long time. The maturity you've gained and the realistic view you now have are just amazing. Stay the course. You are really becoming YOU, a force to be reckoned with but not unreasonable or hateful, just firm. So PROUD of you!!

Unknown said...

Great blog! I added you to my blogroll. I'd appreciate it if you'd consider linking back.

Most blogs allow you to enter your blog url in a special field in the comment section. If the blog doesn't have that feature, then you will also need to put my url in the comment.

Unknown said...

Great blog! I added you to my blogroll. I'd appreciate it if you'd consider linking back.

Most blogs allow you to enter your blog url in a special field in the comment section. If the blog doesn't have that feature, then you will also need to put my url in the comment.

One Messed Up Chick said...

you go girl!!!! Stand up tall for yourself!! Thats what i like about you so much!! You are a strong person.

Holly said...

I love this email. I think it is so wonderful that you could write it.
Again, I can't stop telling you how strong you are and how healthy your heart is.
You are AMAZING my friend!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Good for you. I have only been reading your blog for a short time but that just makes me so proud to "know" you.

B.E.C.K. said...

That is amazingly powerful. Wow!

Audra said...

I'm really glad you were able to get that all off your chest in your e-mail. Perhaps something good might come of it?

SassyFemme said...

Caroline, that was an AMAZING letter! Good for you for writing it. I'm proud of you!

Caroline said...

To everyone:

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. One thing I love is how I have learned to say what I need to say, but do it in an assertive way rather then aggressive way. I have learned that if I am firm about what I believe and say it in a respectful way it will be heard better then if I make the person defensive.

I am grateful for each of you and you each have a very special place in my heart.