Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Restoring my Faith

I have found that this whole house deal falling through has caused a domino affect of problems. For one thing I am still not getting all my mail. I know a lot of my mail is probably sitting in the mailbox at the apartment just waiting for me to pick it up. This month I did not receive my statement for my car, my gas and 2 of my credit cards. Luckily with my credit cards I get an email reminding me that it's time to make a payment. I thought I had called all of the right places to get the address changed back, but a few have fallen through the cracks. I don't understand the gas bill because I obviously still have hot water, etc, so I don't know why I have not received the bill.

So I realized over the weekend that I had not received my bill for my car insurance/home owners insurance. When I got home yesterday there was a bill from State Farm saying I owed them $550 for my home owners insurance. I pay both my car insurance and home owners insurance monthly, so I couldn't understand why I was having to pay rest of the premium.

I called my agent this morning. From the time I was 16 until last year I had the same agent. Well, he retired last year and I was assigned a new agent. I was never asked if I who I wanted to switch to, it just happened. I had no problems until this whole move thing. This agent does not return calls and seems to lack customer service.

So this morning I spent a good 2 hours talking with the agent about my frustrations. I do not owe $550, but to play catch up since I was taken off the payment plan I have to come up with $150. I explained that there is no catch up because I just made a payment the end of the July. How could I be behind? The more he explained the more frustrated I got.

He finally called someone above him and not only got the $150 waived, but I do not owe anything for the month of August. And by the end of the conversation my agent had given me his personal cellphone number in case I ever had an emergency.

My faith in State Farm (who I personally think is the best insurance company) has been restored. Thank goodness because I hate shopping, especially for insurance.

7 comments:

Bella said...

I'm glad your agent was able to get everything straightened out for you.

Patti_Cake said...

Ack I have my insurance through work, paycheck deducted. One more small thing that keeps me tied to Crying Cow Bank!
I'm glad you got the insurance thing taken care of and I hope you get the mail thing sorted out too!

Unknown Me said...

State Farm is usually VERY good, IF you get the right agent. They switched agents on me once and it was NOT pretty!!

Caroline said...

katie--i am so glad as well. i would not have been a happy camper if this was still messed up

patti--you're so lucky that it's just taken out of your check. moving and then suddenly not moving is a huge pain in the a**.

unknown me--i love state farm and have had no problems until now. my agent even said he wanted to come out and meet me. i think he is really afraid that i will drop state farm. funny thing that he doesnt' realize...i am too lazy to go search out new insurance. :)

Syd said...

My dumb ass would have paid the $550.

Can I get you to call the IRS for me? ;)

Lynilu said...

I agree with you on State Farm. I had a hiccough when I moved here because someone from the local office didn't go out and look at the property as they said they would and then didn’t return my call, so I insured my house elsewhere. By the time I changed cars, they jumped on the stick. But changing agents is very hard. You have a working relationship with one, and then you become a no-face customer to the new one. Good for you for making them see your face!!

Holly said...

thank goodness. I always like hearing stories that make me believe that not all insurance companies are difficult.