Sunday, August 19, 2007

Oliver

It's been a very relaxing weekend. I only left the couch on Friday night to refill my drink. I was going to go to the pool yesterday, but Mother Nature had another idea. We've gotten no rain in almost a month, so the rain is really needed. Although, I am enjoying not mowing my yard. Since I didn't move I decided that I am going to have to mow the yard instead of having my lawn boys do it. Gotta save my money for the next move and the next deposit.

Last night S. and I got together for dinner and to just hang out. It was a very nice evening. We can sit and talk for hours. One thing I love about her is her patience. Right now, patience is something I really need in another person. I realized on Friday that I was/am so terrified of being hurt again that when I start to feel myself get close to someone I run like hell. S. is good about giving me that space when I need it and not pressure me into a relationship.

S. has a dog named Oliver. Oliver is...well, let's say a little hyper. The first time I met him all he did was bark. I realized that S. and Oliver are a lot like what Sophie and I used to be. Oliver thinks he's in charge and let's everyone know it. It's amazing how a 15lb dog can control a person.
Here's a picture of Oliver. He is so cute, but that bark is deafening.
Here is Oliver complaining because I am telling him not to bark.

S. is coming to meet my babies this afternoon. It's going to be a good Sunday. Oh, and this god awful heat wave has finally broke. I can finally go outside without cursing.

13 comments:

yankeegirl said...

He's cute, but he's no Sophie dog.

Lynilu said...

Hey, I learned something from a friend. She watched aa show about a god whisperer, and a trick to establish the Alpha/Beta relationship with a dog is to hold the dog by the throat, not hurting him, but simulating the "alpha dog" holding another dog in that manner to establish hierarchy. Then you talk gently to the dog while making eye contact, but don't allow him to move around, hold just firmly enough to keep him there. It seems to be working with Ali. He has begun barking when he doesn't like the bumpy dirt and gravel road, so I stop and do the above, then resume driving. He does quit!! Now I can just reach and place one hand at his throat ad he gets quiet!! Yippee-skippee!!

Glad the heat wave is broken. I know it has been a long one. And I'm glad you're not cursing. Bad Caroline. LOL!!

Audra said...

is he some sort of shnauzer? My mother has one, and all she does is bark, bark, bark. Dylan tried to sit next to me on a couch once and she almost blew our heads off with the barking!

Caroline said...

yankeegirl--awwww...sophie thanks you for that comment. :)

lynilu--what i started to do yesterday was when he would bark i would take hold his mouth shut just a little and look in his eyes and say "no". that seemed to do the trick. later that night we took him for a walk and he walked up to one of the neighbors and did not bark. the neighbor instantly noticed and said something. s. was very happy that he was not barking as much.

audra--yes, he's a minature shnauzer. the only shnauzers i've known have all been barkers. just between you and me...it's kind of annoying. :)

One Messed Up Chick said...

What a cute dog, I am so glad that the heat has broke. It has here too!! Enjoy your sunday :) Hugs

Minnesota Nice said...

I didn't know Schnauzers were big barkers, I thought Shelties were the worst. He's really cute, is it true they really don't shed??

Julie said...

Glad to hear you're having a good weekend. I wish our heat wave would break, I feel as if I just cannot breathe in it today. Atlanta is always like this in August, so I don't know why I'm complaining.

Caroline said...

eye--yes, ollie (as I like to call him) is a cutie. yay for cooler temps.

sandra--oh, ollie loves to bark. i am not sure about the shedding. i will ask s.


julie--i don't think i would survive the summer if i lived where you did. you're a lot braver then me. :)

Bella said...

Sounds like a perfect Friday night.

Caroline said...

katie--yes, friday was nice. saturday was even better. :) hope you are having a great time on vacation.

Kerry said...

Ollie reminds me of the Scottish dog in the Lady and the Tramp. They love to be in charge and the center of attention.Hope you have a good week!

Kerry said...

oops meant Oliver lol.

Anonymous said...

Hey lynilu! That whole alpha dog thing does work! I did that with my littlest guy and he got it right away! Now all I have to say is "Don't make me go all alpha dog on you!" and he behaves himself nicely! Heehee!