Monday, October 16, 2006

"There's a tear in my beer"-Hank Williams

Today has been so sad in my office. My co-worker Kristie put in her two weeks notice and last Friday was her last day. Kristie and her husband are moving back to Oklahoma. I have worked with Kristie for the past year and it has been a barrel of laughs the entire time.

Working with addicts can be very frustrating and sometimes you just have to laugh when you really want to cry. Just when you think you are getting through to someone the drug keeps calling them back. So just like the addict, working with them can have many ups and downs.

I think Kristie and I bonded from the very beginning. She has such a quirky sense of humor you can't help but laugh sometimes. She was one of the hardest workers I have worked with. Not too many people volunteer to take an assessment for you just because. We have a lot of down time at our job and there were many days when the only thing that got me through the day (besides all your blogs of course) were the countless emails Kristie and I sent back and forth to each other. We really had some good times and some good laughs.

When we would come in the morning she would always ask how my night or weekend was. It was a rude awakening this morning when there was no one there to ask how my weekend went. The rainy weather this morning matched my mood perfectly.

My boss and I are completely in mourning with Kristie's departure. Going through the resumes that are coming in for Kristie's position just reminds us how lucky we were to have her work with us for the past year.

Kristie started out as a co-worker, but she has left as my friend. The person that will fill her position has huge shoes to fill and I think they will find it close to impossible.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww. I got a tear in my beer and in my eye!! I feel the same way about you! I will miss you so much. I loved every second of working with you and I will cherish your friendship forever. You are a wonderful person with a kind and genuine heart. You have been a very good friend to me. You have to come to visit when we get settled!

Lynilu said...

awwwww from me, too. I didn't know she was leaving. Wow. Good people leave too soon, and the pests don't die even with bug spray! Sorry, hon.

Monogram Queen said...

Aww it sucks to lose a good co-worker/friend. So many are asshats. Well, at least they are here.
I am DYING at Lynilu's comment about the pests... how true!

Lynilu said...

patti, the predecesor to Kristie was . . . interesting. I'll leave it at that. That's where the comments about bug spray came from! Maybe someday Caroline can tell you about her. Whewwwww!

Minnesota Nice said...

Oh, man. First Lynilu and now Kristie - it sucks to lose two awesome people so close together.

Caroline said...

kristie--thank you. i would explain to eveyrone how much fun we had at work, but they might not understand some of our conversations. :)

lynilu--ain't that the truth. that one person (the person before kristie) was horrible beyond words

patticake--i love your word asshats. perfect for some of the people i have had to work with

lynilu--that would be a perfect post someday wouldn't it.

sandra--it really does suck.