Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Hot Water Heater Progress

As I write this they are currently working on our water heater and pipes. I guess the problem is worse then what we first thought. Go figure. This morning I woke up and went and got the part they suggested we get for the shower head. The shower head (which was brand new in April) needed a new part due to the coresion that has happened due to the water heater problem. The plumber told us it would be no more then $40. Laura called before I left and they had the part and it was $59. I just thought the plumber was wrong. So, I go and pick up the part. At lunch I took it home and the plumber said we got the wrong part. Back we go. The other part that we needed was only $23. So, it was nice getting a refund for $43.

Apparently when the dip tube broke into little pieces it turned into what appears to be sand. So our drains are filled with this sand material. It's a huge process to get it out. That is where the cost is coming in. Looking down the pipes it looks like a bag of sand was poured into our drains. And it's in every single line that carries hot water. So, that means every single line. Even the one for the washer has all this crap in it. We are having to replace the line for the washer due to all the "sand" in the line. In the back of my mind I am still thinking the Fix-it Guys had something to do with this problem. I wish I could prove it somehow.

This morning before I left we collected up all the cats to put in rooms so they wouldn't get out. The only one we couldn't get was of course BEN. When I came home for lunch we cornered him and got him into a locked room. Poor guy is so afraid right now. I know he is having flashbacks to April.

Things could be worse. And I am still so motivated to quit smoking. I am actually looking forward to the day when I am not so dependant upon those damn cancer sticks. It kind of feels refreshing.

Laura's birthday is in about 3 weeks and I am having problems coming up with an idea for her b-day gift. Anyone have any ideas for someone that loves the beach and sun and LOVES to read? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

5 comments:

Lynilu said...

I can't remember if she likes history books, but, if so, how about several books about people relating to sun and beach . . . a pirate? one of the explorers from Europe who landed on a beach (where else?), maybe a history of Hawaii or Guam or Tahiti. Or novels based around beaches. For fun, buy her a grass skirt and a cheesy paper lei, and don't forget a premixed bottle of mai tai's! Oh, and a coconut candle!!

Monogram Queen said...

Uh, a week-end at the Beach with a paperback would do the trick. Actually the endof Lynilu's post is an AWESOME suggestion! :)

Caroline said...

lynilu--those are some great ideas..thanks. looks like i need to make another trip to the bookstore..darn

patticake--damn, i wish we lived closer then 800 miles from a beach. if i had the $$ i would surprise her with a trip to the beach. thanks for the ideas

SassyFemme said...

How about the Provincetown Series by Radclyffe?

Caroline said...

sassyfemme--i will have to go check that out. thank you for the idea