Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Rambling Thoughts

It's been a few days since I have posted. I have been so busy at work that I haven't found much time to gather my thoughts to put them on here. I am able to catch my breathe here at work, so let me try to gather my thoughts into something you will understand.

We made our weekend tradition of visiting Wal-Mart on Sunday. While we were there I noticed something. Well, I think I have noticed it before, but I really thought about it. Why are all the "essentials" you need in life so freaking expensive. For example..all women between 15 and 50 need tampons or pads. Why are they so freaking expensive. I mean...$8 for 40 tampons. Seems kind of crazy to me. I like a particular kind so I will not use any other ones. Then there is toothpaste. To get a good brand you will likely spend $4 for one tube. Both Laura and I are obessed with brushing our teeth..so we will brush them about 4x a day on most days. That's a lot of toothpaste in one month. Breakfast cereal. I don't like cereal, but Laura does. Have you noticed how much one box costs now a days? It's like $5 for one box. I remember growing up we had cereal every morning. I can't imagine having a few growing kids and having to keep cereal in stock because that would a small fortune.

When Laura and I first got together money was kind of tight. Within a year I had gotten a new job which paid a lot more, plus I got a promtion and a raise shortly after that. So, we are doing pretty good financially. We have vowed that we will never again live paycheck to paycheck. And I think in the past six months we have done very well to make sure that never happens. We have a nice little nest in case something happens to one of our jobs, plus plently of money for all the traveling we want to do. But we decided over the weekend to stop buying certain things like we are living paycheck to paycheck and don't have the money to buy the things we want. For example: we had been buying our toilet paper at dollar general. Now, that was fine when we didn't have a lot of money, but it's not the softest toilet paper. When we were at Wal-Mart we decided to buy the nice soft toilet paper. OH MY GOD. I forgot how nice soft toilet paper is. We will never use that crappy stuff from Dollar General again. Shavers: We had been buying the cheap ones..just because. We found some really nice disposable ones at Wal-Mart. Again, OH MY GOD..do you know how nice it is to shave with something that is not ripping your skin off??

Our aquarium...We have all the plants and rocks in there. We are waiting til this weekend to get some fish. The temp has leveled out and the heater seems to be working great. It is so soothing to have it in our living room. Our cats love it also. They will lay on the floor and just stare up at it. I can't wait to see their reaction when we put fish in there.

4 comments:

SassyFemme said...

I can remember about 5 years ago we stopped livign paycheck to paycheck. Isn't it a really cool feeling?!?!

Isabel said...

So far we're doing ok. Sometimes I freak out right before it's pay day or when we're getting ready to pay the mortgage.

Dennis said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I really admire you older GLBT couples (not that I'm calling you old, just older than I, I being 19). I have this co-worker of mine who is a lesbian and she has been married to her wife for a long time and they are both very very happy together. And I only hope to have at least a fraction of their happiness and luck.

Because, really, it feels lonely in this world. No one to really share it with is like pre-mature hell or something. I don't want to go all sappy on you but you know what I mean.

I mean, it might be that because you're a lesbian and women naturally are somewhat more sensible than men when it comes to these things and that's why you don't see more happy male couples (or so I am led to believe). I hope I am not doomed forever to wander in some sort of maritial limbo.

Do you believe in 100% love? Or can we only achieve 95% love, on our very best days? Does 85% sound good enough? Is it crazy to look for the 100% perfect love? Is it crazy to say, "Okay, he is the ONE. No doubts about it."

Once, when my mother was in college, she had to write a paper about Jehovah's Witnesses. So she gave me the job since I am a paper-pro. Long story short, everyone in the class got jealous of my mother's teacher's praises towards her for the well written paper. Yup, I am some sort of Jehovah's Witnesses' expert or something.

Good day and I wish you all the happiness I can afford to spare.

Caroline said...

sassyfemme-It's a wonderful feeling!!

sweet angel--I still get nervous around payday..we get paid 2x a month so we split the bills up between those two pay periods..and I get nervous when I see how much we have til next payday...Laura always has to remind me that we are saving about 20% of our earnings

dennis--thanks for visiting my blog. And yes, compared to your tender age of 19...I am old. Damn