Friday, January 13, 2006

My Name

As many of you know my name is Caroline. When I was little I HATED my name. I didn't know anyone else with my name, and if they did have the same name it was usually spelled "Carolyn". People were always spelling it wrong. So, when I was in the 4th of 5th grade I decided to change my name. Well, sort of. I started spelling my name "Carolyn". I figured if people are spelling it that way, then I might as well also. I think I went through 2 whole summers at camp spelling my name that way. My parents kept saying, "but Caroline is so beautiful, why would you want to change it?" But I was bound to change my name. Which had happened one other time.

When I was born my parents named me Jennifer Jane. They liked the name Jennifer and Jane was after my Dad's Mom. Apparently people didn't like that name. Remember, I was born in 73, so I am sure 1/2 the little girls born that year were named Jennifer. So, when I was 6 weeks old my parents went up to visit my Dad's parents in Northern Minnesota. While they were there they were looking through some old family papers and found someone on from the 1800's named Caroline Ann. They decided to change my name. So, that is how I got my name.

I think when I was 6th grade I decided to change my name back to Caroline because it was confusing for the teachers. As I have gotten older I have grown to LOVE my name. Now a days I will be in a store and hear a Mother call to her little girl who is named Caroline. It's neat seeing the name come back into fashion.

Here's one of my pet peeves. When people who know me, and they continue to spell my name wrong. I have had several people write me emails, or letters and spell my name "Carolyn". It drives me up the freaking wall. You would think people that know me would know how to spell my name.

C-A-R-O-L-I-N-E

10 comments:

alison keddy said...

If you don't mind me saying so, you write beautifully. I am going to bookmark your blog and keep reading. You have a way of making something so simple as a name speak volumes.

Isabel said...

I hated my name growing up. People always misspelled it. annoyed me. Combined with my maiden last name it was very hispanic. So people would start speaking spanish to me and I only knew basic phrases.Annoying at times. Now I have a not common married last time that's giving me problem. Oh well.

SassyFemme said...

How interesting that your name was changed when you were 6 mos. old. I hated my name growing up, always thought it was so plain (Ann). Now as an adult I love it. Like you, though, I get annoyed when people spell it wrong, adding an e to the end, in my case.

Zoe said...

You're lucky to have escaped Jennifer. I know so many Jennifers. Our joke in college about not knowing a girls name was to call her Jennifer, you'd have a 50% chance of being right. It's nice to be different.

Francesca said...

I think your name is beautiful, thank-you very much!

Hey!...Remember the Neil Diamond song: Sweet Caroline????

And, by the way, what on earth have you done with Laura, dear? She seems to have diappeared after such a fab start to her blogging adventure....ahhh well....

Hugs!

pack of 2 said...

I think I have spelled your name wrong before...OOPS!!!

People spell my name wrong IRL all the time...I don't really care but I do notice it.

Shelly (correct)but I also get...

Shellie
Shelley
Shelli
you get the picture

Caroline said...

alison--thank you for stopping by. Look forward to seeing more comments from you.

sweet angel-isn't funny when people think just because you are hispanic that you should know spanish. hell...i am american, but I am still learning english

sassy--my name was changed when I was 6 weeks old, not 6 months.

zoe--i agree about the whole jennifer thing. And I don't think I look like a Jennifer anyway

francesca--I love that Neil Diamond song...when it comes on the radio I blast it and sing my name..:)

Caroline said...

oops...
packof2--i don't think you have mispelled my name...

pack of 2 said...

Ok...good. I didn't really know if I had or not!!!

S

Teena in Toronto said...

My name is "Teena" ~ yep, that's the way it's spelled. When I was a kid, I was always correcting people cuz they always spelled it wrong. Now, I can't be bothered.

My mother cursed me with the second name "Louise". My apologies to anyone named "Louise" but I hate that name and don't use it at all.

My mother's second name is "Louise" as was her mother's so my mother had this wacky dream of "Louise" being the second name that all the females in our family for generations to come. Um ... no.

I was born when Tina Louise (of "Gilligan's Island" fame) was famous. Sigh ...