Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy 2006!!!!



I hope everyone had a wonderful New Years Eve. Laura and I had a wonderful time. We drove down to her older sisters house around 4pm to spend the evening. Laura's parents came down as well as did her oldest nephew and his family. (Landon and Landon's Mom) We had a fun filled night of games and just talking. It was fun because we had two game tables set up. One was for dominoes and the other was for Poker. Each were in a different room. Because of Landon, we don't smoke in the same room he is in. So, we would switch off with watching him so we could smoke. He is such a good baby. But he was a little grumpy because he had a cold/cough, he is teething and just two days ago he got 4 shots. Ouch!! Poor guy. He is such a doll.

By 11pm everyone had left except me and Laura. We decided to hang around til midnight. I wanted to see Dick Clark and see what he looked like after his stroke. Man was I shocked. It was so sad. He looked old and there were times I could not understand him. My guess is, he won't be around for New Years Eve next year. He just didn't look like he was doing that good. Midnight rang in and we headed home. I was a little nervous about driving home because we had a good 45 minute drive. We thought for sure we would run into a check point. NONE. I think we only saw 2 cops the whole drive home.

By the time we got home we were exhausted. Plus, I had had three Coronas, so I was ready for bed. I don't drink that much and honestly this is the first time I have drank in close to two years. But every once in a while I feel like having a drink. Last night was one of those times. So, we get into bed and we are sound asleep. Then the phone rings. It's 1:33am. My first thought was it's either the answering service from my office or it's her parents or older sister making sure we had made it home safe. Wrong. It was Laura's younger sister. I answer the phone. (Laura and I sound so much alike on the phone people can't tell us apart) Her sister wishes me a Happy New Year. I say the same back to her and then tell her it's Caroline. There is silence. She then says, "I like you so much Caroline. You and I just click. You are like my sister." At this point I knew she probably had had too much to drink. Laura did tell me that when her younger sister drinks she is very honest and isn't bullshitting you. I did enjoy what she said. We ended up talking for about 30 minutes before I handed the phone over to Laura. So, by the time we got off the phone it was 2:30am. Back to sleep.

8:12am. The phone rings. It's Laura's Dad. He was on his way up because he was helping us replace the battery in her car. We're not sure why he couldn't have waited til maybe 10, but that is ok. So, we were up til about 11am and then went back to bed. I think we finally got out of bed around 1pm and are just having a lazy day. It's great.

That was our New Year Night. I must now get back to my lazy afternoon.

3 comments:

SassyFemme said...

Sounds like you had a lovely night! I'm so glad that Laura's family is so wonderful to you guys! Hope you're still enjoying a lazy afternoon! Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Isabel said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

Minnesota Nice said...

That is so sad about Dick Clark. Nothing lasts forever, eh? HAPPY NEW YEAR