Saturday, December 03, 2005

Chicago in Review

I made it home safe and sound last night, although it was late. My flight was about 45 minutes late. But I love to people watch, especially in the airport, so it was fun. It was a whirlwind of a trip, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I went to the conference with the President of the coalation we belong to, which my job is part of this coalition. I was kind of nervous traveling with her because she is the top person of this coalition. But it all worked out just fine. Molly and I talked literally from the moment we met up at the KC airport until we went to sleep in Chicago. It was fun.

The weather in Chicago was nothing short of freezing. It was snowing when we flew in Thursday night and was about 17 degrees. We had to stand in line for about 15 minutes for a cab. Burrr!! On Friday, it was clear, but still very cold. Our hotel and conference were in the Chicago Sun/Times building. It was odd because our hotel lobby was on floor 15. So, whenever I wanted to have a smoke, I had to take the elevator down 15 floors. It was a good way to limit how much I was smoking. The view from our room was looking directly at the Sears Tower and the River. Made me realize again that I would love to live in a city where having a car is optional. I would love to be able to take the subway to work, etc. Maybe one day that dream will come true.

The conference was WONDERFUL . It was focused on motivational inteviewing, which is the tool we use when we are interviewing clients. It was awesome, awesome, awesome. I had to leave the conference about 30 minutes early to catch my flight. I knew that I was going to be heading to the airport on a Friday night, in rush hour. As it turned out, my flight was running late, so I didnt have to leave early anyway.

The cab ride back to the airport was kind of scarey. The driver thought he was in the Indianapolis 500. He was driving so fast and kept slamming on the brakes. Scary..... But I made it to the airport just fine. And then I sat and watched people for 3 hours.

I have not flown in almost 6 years. So, the whole security thing was new to me. What a fucking hassle. Take off your coat, take off your shoes, put everything in a little basket...walk through the metal decter, grab your shoes, put them on, put on your coat, grab your bag. The whole time, the person behind you is looking at you like, "could you hurry it up please." I had to do this about 4 times yesterday because each time I wanted a smoke, I had to leave the "secured" area. Again, another reason to quit smoking. And since you can't have lighters, I had to carry matches with me.

All in all, it was a wonderful trip. Although, all that time out in the cold air smoking, waiting for a cab has caused me to come down with a cold. I woke up yesterday in Chicago all congested. I woke up this morning still congested and now feeling very weak and tired.

So, I am off to lay on the couch and watch some tv and while Laura is out at the grocery store, this is the perfect time to wrap a couple of her gifts.

Until later...

1 comment:

Francesca said...

Bummer on the cold! I hope you are over that soon...In the meantime, you have Laura to be your very special and attentive nurse! ;)

Glad you had fun on your trip. I agree! The security at the airports is a drag...I've got it down pat: No wire bras...slip in shoes...little and light carry on bags!