Friday, October 28, 2005

Customer Service, but not at Jiffy Lube

Saturday morning before we left I had to fun and get a quick oil change for my car since we weren't planning on driving anywhere and it needed to get done. I usually take my car to a little shop about 10 minutes from my house. I have been taking my cars there since I was 20. They know me, I know them and have never had any problems with them. Well, it was late in the week when we decided going to Florida to "ride out" the storm was not possible. So, my next option for the oil change was Jiffy Lube. I hate going there because they charge you an arm and a leg for a job that takes maybe 20 minutes. I had called Friday because I remember seeing a Jiffy Lube running a special for early in the morning. When I called this particular Jiffy Lube, they said yes indeed they were running a special for Saturday morning. An oil change for just $19.99. Not bad.

So, I wake up early Saturday morning and drive down to the Jiffy Lube. I know I was up early because I was their first customer. They instructed me to drive the car into the garage. I thought this was a little strange since I had never been asked to do that before. Usually you pull up and they ask what you need done and then they pull the car in. I pulled the car in, kind of nervous because if you look down in the middle, it is an open space. One move to the right or left and your car could be in there. I get out and they ask what kind of oil I need in my car. HUH? I have never been asked that before. I told them I was not sure. (I thought they were the experts) Then I asked them to check the tire pressure and they asked me, "how much air do you normally put in your tire?" By this time I am getting pretty nervous.

20 minutes later they say the car is done. They ring me up and it's $33. I explain I had called and was told it was $19.99. They tell me it has always been $28 and if I know who I talked to. Whatever. I am done at this point. I pay and walk out to my car. My car was still in the garage and I had to pull it out. Their customer service sucks.

As I am pulling away I notice a nicely dressed man (suit and tie) walking out of the lobby area. I know exactly what he is doing. Here is my conversation with this person.
"Are you handing out Watchtowers?"
"Yes, I am"
"You really need to find something better to do"
"You know the Bible has instructed us to go out in the ministry"
"People know who you are. If they are interested in becoming a JW, they can go to the Kingdom Hall"
"Jesus instructed us to go out and share the good news"
"You know, JW's are a cult and it ruined my family"
"How did it ruin your family?"
"My family will no longer talk to me because of your cult"
"Why are they not talking to you, are you disfellowshipped?"
"Yes, I am"
"Huh, you always have the choice to come back"

I then informed the person I knew what congregation he went to. He was willing to talk to me until he found out I was "disfellowshipped". What a loser.

I know I probably should have not said anything to him, but what the hell, this is America and I am pissed at that entire organziation.

1 comment:

pack of 2 said...

I always glare at those people & any group that I know discriminates. I tell Salvation Army people why I don't give them money when they try to get me to drop it in the Christmas bucket!

S