Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Until we meet again

Last night I had to say goodbye to a very good friend. My next door neighbor, Glenn, is moving to Seattle. Not by choice, but because he wants to be closer to his family in his final days. Glenn has cancer and has but a few months to live.

When I moved into the house almost 8 years ago I met Glenn, for a second time. My house was my Grandparents and when my Grandma passsed away, my ex-husband and I bought the house. Glenn and his wife moved in a the late 70's and quickly became friends with my Grandparents. As a small child I would visit my Grandparents often and Glenn and Lyn remember me as a small child visiting my Grandparents. So, when I moved in as an adult, Glenn was so happy that one of Alice's grandkids had bought the house. Glenn and I quickly became friends over the fence. We would talk often about the weather, etc. We also talked a lot about my Grandparents and he shared with me the things he helped my Grandparents do. Things I was not aware of. He build the deck in the back and a ramp so my Grandfather, who was suffering from Parkisons could go out on the back deck and have his nightly beer. The ramp was built so my Grandma could get my Grandpa to the car and to church. I always felt closer to my Grandparents when visiting with Glenn and Lyn. I always felt safe knowing Glenn was home during the day and could watch the house. I will never forget one day getting a message from Glenn that simply said, "Call me and I will tell you what happened to your tree". We had a 40 year old tree just fall one day.

So, last night I went over to say my goodbyes to Glenn. It was very emotional. I kept thanking him for his friendship and help over the years and also all he did for my Grandparents. I only wish for Glenn is that his final days are filled with peace and love. My last words to him before I left was, "we will meet again."

No comments: